Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JOB JOB JOB!!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

JOB JOB JOB!!

So, as some of you know, I've been inactive due to some issues I've created for myself. I have not had a real job for ages (year and a half at least) and I'm trying to find one, albeit rather poorly right now.

Recruiters:
    I did have an interview with Robert Half as ceebee suggested. That said, should I avoid other recruiters and focus on them, or should I spread out a bit get in with many, or just a few?? Also,m when sending them jobs that might fit me, should I send same link to all, or should I send one job link to one, another to another?

I am listed on Beyond and indeed and a couple others, can't remember right now off top of head.

Credit score - it's horrific right now. How bad is this going to be?
    Criminal record - none I know of.

As of now I'm literally going to be looking for anything, flipping burgers, whatever. Just need some income.

Any suggestions welcome, ANY. You can't insult me, I'm beyond that. I just need to get my poop together and getting a job is #1 on the list, if not the only thing right now.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 11-04-2014 at 09:48 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Congrats. Work with as many recruiters as you need.
    Start building the network of contacts, try to get references on linkedin. Many companies will check references, even call some people. Be prepared to have a few that will say good things.
    Credit score may or may not matter, criminal is the most important.
    Good luck!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't know much about this but my personal opinion is that I think you should not sell yourself short. In other words, I know you need income so do what you feel is right of course. But you are very knowledgable in your field of expertise. I think at the very least you can get some contract work doing something IT related.

One thing employers will want to know is how dependable you are going to be. If they sense that will be a problem then it could make things tough.

My suggestion would be to get a LinkedIN profile created ASAP. Then see if you can start adding people. Networking, job leads. That's what you need. You need to get back into the swing of things.

Just my 2 cents.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Go to Onforce.com. Sign up. They will route computer jobs to you. be the first to accept the job. You get paid.....Also try Service Live. it's from Sears. Not many leads, but I do 3 a month. Onforce pays within days.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Don't forget Dice as far as website.
    Is Modis up there? If so, down here they are good recruiters. Work with as many as possible. Keep on top of them, they have the worst attention spans on earth.
    LinkedIn. Get on it, update your profile like you would your resume. Join as many IT groups as possible. Use the job finding tools on it. Make it a video game to get as many contacts as possible(like everyone at all the tech sites you use). Work all the social media sites vocally for help in finding a job.
    SimplyHired is another decent website.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Also, if you need a recommendation let me know. Not sure that would do any good since I've never worked with you but I will gladly put a word in if you need it. I know you know your shit.

That goes for anyone here really. I'm happy to help if at all possible.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Bookmarked onforce, souinds very familiar, like we used them before where I used to work.

Question about filling out stuff online. it takes freaking forever to fill out applications for just one job,m ex apply for Comcast XNOC work, been applying for last half hour at least and I'm not even done yet, just filling out forms, answering questions they could get from resume but it seldom uploads data properly, whatever. I'm going to sign up with linkedin and hopefully the data from there will auto populate some places, but does anyone know a faster way of doing things? I mean, I applied for a freaking petshop job for one place and it took 3 hours+ to complete everything, but that was an extreme and asinine application (asks everything up front that they normally ask AFTER you would get hired). Other places really just don't seem to have the software to grab the info off your resume properly. Looking for any way to speed that process up for most employers.

Any ideas? I'm applying for way too few jobs per day because of the time required to fill in the same BS over and over.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Odd Question probably. Since we're dead broke, like can't feed ourselves broke, we applied for public assistance and received SNAP benefits (That means welfare and food stamps, the wife and I get free food $). Anyone know how this will affect me getting a job or why employers ask about it??

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Odd Question probably. Since we're dead broke, like can't feed ourselves broke, we applied for public assistance and received SNAP benefits (That means welfare and food stamps, the wife and I get free food $). Anyone know how this will affect me getting a job or why employers ask about it??
    I don't know why it would. Who asks for that info and who offers that info up? The whole credit check on potential new employees baffles my mind.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Bookmarked onforce, souinds very familiar, like we used them before where I used to work.

Question about filling out stuff online. it takes freaking forever to fill out applications for just one job,m ex apply for Comcast XNOC work, been applying for last half hour at least and I'm not even done yet, just filling out forms, answering questions they could get from resume but it seldom uploads data properly, whatever. I'm going to sign up with linkedin and hopefully the data from there will auto populate some places, but does anyone know a faster way of doing things? I mean, I applied for a freaking petshop job for one place and it took 3 hours+ to complete everything, but that was an extreme and asinine application (asks everything up front that they normally ask AFTER you would get hired). Other places really just don't seem to have the software to grab the info off your resume properly. Looking for any way to speed that process up for most employers.

Any ideas? I'm applying for way too few jobs per day because of the time required to fill in the same BS over and over.
    You might be able to get or write a script to help fill in common blanks.

Like name, address, work history... like you click in the box and hit an F key and it fills it all in.