Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JOB JOB JOB!!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Adding ppl to linked in, if yu get something about Bradley N, thats me. Yeah, I'm not blown away by the name either, I didn't pick it...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Added.

And I wouldn't trip on the food stamps stuff. You need to do what you need to do to survive. So do it. That's why it's there. If a company judges you for it, then maybe they aren't worth working for in the first place. People should always come first.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Take the time, fill stuff in. If it takes me less than 5 minutes I can guarantee that nothing will happen.

ANother thing, keep a detailed list of everything you apply for. Date, position name, where you applied, company, links etc, etc. Don't send in multiple apps. Plus, when they call, you can go back to your spreadsheet and know exactly what is happening and when you applied. Really helps if you are hungover or whatever and just can't trust your memory. Nothing wrong with asking them to wait a second while you check out your spreadsheet/information when they call out of the blue, never had a recruiter complain and it helps you sound organized when you find it and have enough notes to spark your memory. Just an fyi, I keep stats as well. 73% of companies give no reply at all. Sitting at about 40% with no reply after an interview. Some really crappy places out there, but know those stats so as not to get discouraged from lack of response.

Do the cover letters. I keep a couple different generic ones depending on the type of job, then just do a couple custom edits.

But yeah, some of the online sites are beyond annoying with the questions. Have had a few that make you do full out personality tests.

As far as the assistance, I've seen that from the retailers I've applied to. I think it has something to do if you are handling money, but I could be way off.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have a question... what the hell is a "CV"? And when did this replace a "resume"? I've done a job search here and there in recent years and it seems like they always mention a CV and then I think to myself, 'WTF?" At my company a resume seems to be adequate. But I think in giant mega-corps it's trendy for a CV now.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I have a question... what the hell is a "CV"? And when did this replace a "resume"?
    Curriculum Vitae.
    Slightly different things, a CV is usually more detailed, the resume is the summary of the CV - usually 1 page.
    The CV term is being used in Europe (at least) almost exclusively.
    If a company is hiring a researcher they would ask for a CV.. if hiring an assembly line worker a resume...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Curriculum Vitae.
    Slightly different things, a CV is usually more detailed, the resume is the summary of the CV - usually 1 page.
    The CV term is being used in Europe (at least) almost exclusively.
    If a company is hiring a researcher they would ask for a CV.. if hiring an assembly line worker a resume...
    I still don't understand. What is the advantage of a CV for an employer?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I still don't understand. What is the advantage of a CV for an employer?
    Besides more detail than what would normally result from squeezing 20 years of relevant experience into one page?
    For all practical purposes a CV is a detailed resume - 2-3 pages, even much more for -say- a nuclear physicist.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I believe employers are receiving a tax credit for getting people off of public assistance. Makes it look like they are winning the war on poverty or something.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    Another thing, keep a detailed list of everything you apply for.
    Good advice. This will make you better prepared for talking to an employer and you do not accidentally apply to the same position twice in two weeks. I have received resumes from people before who were applying for the same job I already interviewed them for earlier. Hello? There's a reason this job sounds so familiar to you - you already interviewed for it two weeks ago!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I probably get 25 job notification a week from Monster.com

they are a very good resource. lots and lots of companies use Monster
    not so blue