Thread: JOB JOB JOB!!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    I probably get 25 job notification a week from Monster.com
    they are a very good resource. lots and lots of companies use Monster
    Agreed. Also once you are in the network of the headhunters you will receive many positions directly (check spam folder too!!!). Some will be unrelated, some may be of real interest.
    And yes, keep a track of companies/positions/cities - some may not disclose the client directly unless you work with them, so the same position may be presented by several headhunters.
    As a general unspoken rule, they only submit your resume to a company with your approval.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Besides more detail than what would normally result from squeezing 20 years of relevant experience into one page?
    For all practical purposes a CV is a detailed resume - 2-3 pages, even much more for -say- a nuclear physicist.
    So I guess having a CV would indicate to the employer that the potential employee has tons of experience? Could that be the benefit of a CV? Just trying to figure out what the point of having a longer resume is and then calling it a "CV" instead of just continuing to call it a resume.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    So I guess having a CV would indicate to the employer that the potential employee has tons of experience? Could that be the benefit of a CV? Just trying to figure out what the point of having a longer resume is and then calling it a "CV" instead of just continuing to call it a resume.
    It's more the other way around. If an employer asks for a CV they want a more detailed (2-3 pages) "resume". Not just "managed company's servers", but "managed a network consisting of 40 Windows servers and 250 client computers, created Powershell scripts for configuration and application deployment, was responsible for creating and implementing a backup system"...
    If they ask for a resume, they generally want about a page - maybe 1 1/2 if you really have a lot to list - something they can skim in under a minute and decide whether they want to talk to you or not.
    Just consider that the real "experience and skills" part of a typical resume is 2/3 to 1 page - how many relevant things can you fit?
    Last edited by CeeBee; 11-06-2014 at 06:13 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So it is a resume+

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For most places they are just completely replaceable terms

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Get in with a temp agency and start working whatever jobs they have. You're always more employable once you're already employed. This will also give you at least some income, and will get you back into a routine, having responsibilities, etc.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    3fs - Suggestions for temp agencies? Did with one in center city (accutemps) and have not heard from them one iota. Gping to sign up with onforce as suggested next, once finished with some other stuff.

Just made a spreadsheet to track jobs applied for, sites signed up with, recruiters, etc. Not like I have anything else to do, maybe as well put my project management skills to work.

Got LinkedIn more or less set up, put stuff up on Monster, linked FB in, then went back to FB and changed my major from beer to science education. I wonder how many jobs this screwed up in the past. Sigh.

Have not even applied to anything today. Called a local shop, looking for the ability to apply (I'm literally looking for anything I can do, including retail) and was directed to look for applications for monster pets, it's a local pet shop I would like to work at even if I did get another IT job - gonna need a couple jobs for a few years anyway. For the life of me I can't figure out WTF the manager was talking about. Nothing listed from them, can't find any way to submit an application in general. Is there something I'm missing?

Grover - on monster now, thought this had become spam central? Guess they cleaned their crap up? I see that whenever I do anything they are trying me to fill out a form for U of Phoenix or something similar, annoying but it seems most of these sites are doing that. I totally fall for them until I realize I just filled in that info like 2 pages back and start to scroll down. Apparently I'm a sucker for these.

Cleet - Been on dice, will update.

Cover Letters? I'll google it, is that the BS you put on the resume that says, I'm looking for some bukllsh*t that bullsh*ts with my bullsh*t?

Any idea about auto population of web forms for different sites?
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 11-06-2014 at 11:04 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The BS Part:
    Oh, one more item. I seem woefully ill suited for most network jobs, and I've been working with Cisco equipment on a decent size network, working with lots of circuits, etc for years. It seems that everyone wants the skills of a CCIE with 15-20 years experience, and for job titles that are for junior people. I know they post for people above what the job requires and I know that you're supposed to apply for stuff even if it seems a bit out of your league, but for the last decade I have found almost NOTHING listed for junior administrators or for network support type jobs, or for those that do either server work OR networking and I don't understand why. I get that many small businesses want someone with ccna and a mcse, I get that, but I don't understand the lack of jobs showing for larger companies that differentiate the work load between departments.

THE POINT:
    Anyway, I have worked Project Management and Support for over a decade now (mostly support). I like support, I like people, it's my thing. I'm amazing at it. If I go to an interview for helpdesk type work, I get along so well with the manager, and then I'm overqualified according tot he director who just sees me leaving in a year while the person that conducts the technical portion of the interview is left wondering why I don't have experience with active directory. I'm NOT going to find another junior level position quickly, and I don't know how to get past this barrier. It's happened a couple times to me now. is there anything in between I should be looking for???? A trick to bullsh*t people into understanding I'm a decent tech, but not too decent? Did I say that right?
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 11-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    The BS Part:
    Oh, one more item. I seem woefully ill suited for most network jobs, and I've been working with Cisco equipment on a decent size network, working with lots of circuits, etc for years. It seems that everyone wants the skills of a CCIE with 15-20 years experience, and for job titles that are for junior people. I know they post for people above what the job requires and I know that you're supposed to apply for stuff even if it seems a bit out of your league, but for the last decade I have found almost NOTHING listed for junior administrators or for network support type jobs, or for those that do either server work OR networking and I don't understand why. I get that many small businesses want someone with ccna and a mcse, I get that, but I don't understand the lack of jobs showing for larger companies that differentiate the work load between departments.

THE POINT:
    Anyway, I have worked Project Management and Support for over a decade now (mostly support). I like support, I like people, it's my thing. I'm amazing at it. If I go to an interview for helpdesk type work, I' get along so well with the manager, and then I'm overqualified according tot he director who just sees me leaving in a year. I'm NOT going to find another junior level position quickly, and I don't know how to get past this barrier. It's happened a couple times to me now. is there anything in between I should be looking for???? A trick to bullsh*t people into understanding I'm a decent tech, but not too decent? Did I say that right?
    Welcome to my world. Every time I start looking for work I see the requirements and my head explodes. Do people realize how few CCIE's even exist in this world? And how much time, energy and money it takes to even get a CCIE? Ridiculous. And then when I try to get something really low level they tell me I'm overqualified. I think that's just code for telling me that I'm too old and they'd rather hire a college graduate millennial who will work for minimum wage.

I wonder if you can try doing the 3FS route and see if you can find your way into a college or university or some kind of educational institution where there will be plenty of work and maybe the requirements are so high like they are at big corporations.

By the way, if I were to start looking for work, I think I might try this: http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Cover Letters? I'll google it, is that the BS you put on the resume that says, I'm looking for some bukllsh*t that bullsh*ts with my bullsh*t?
    Some HR departments will not require a cover letter because they do not think the value they receive is worth the time they put into reading them. Often, they are right because people often right pointless cover letters that do not tell the hiring manager anything new.

Below is a style of cover letter that I like. It takes snippets from their help wanted ad and then specifically addresses why the applicant meets their need.

Sample Cover Letter.JPG