Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barfing Radiator

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Barfing Radiator

So, my radiator routinely leaks antifreeze, though I never really see a puddle under the car. Its been getting hot and barfing antifreeze lately when I run it for more than a very short time. It's barfing antifreeze, though not all of it. I'm presently wondering if the radiator is fine and if I just have some bad hoses. What's the best way to look for leaks and such? Also, how do I check the hoses that run to the heater core for leaks? The heater stops working when it starts puking. Just FYI on last item, turning off heater might stop the puking, but then again maybe not. Can't tell when driving and have had zero time to look into it during daylight hours.

Note, I am not a "car guy", so talk to me as if I was a10 year old about this stuff.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Make sure you have enough coolant in the system. If you don't have enough it may not circulate properly and the engine will overheat - and the coolant will boil. Depending on car you may need to top off with the car slightly uphill and purge the air from a valve somewhere in the circuit.
    Knowing the car model might help...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    1. Look at the radiator core. The fins. If they are wet, you may have a leaky core.

2. Check the core support. that is the piece of "I" channel that the radiator sits on. It should be dry.

3. When the engine is cool. Like after it is parked overnight, squeeze the hoses. They should be firm and not spongy feeling. If they are spongy, they may be failing or on the verge of failing.

4. Check the water pump. You can find that by tracing the bottom hose from the radiator to the engine. Where it connects to the engine is the water pump. Nothing should be pooled up on it or around it.

5. When the engine gets hot, simply open the hood and look for steam. Follow it to the source.

6. Check all your hose clamps on the radiator hoses. That is a common point of failure. There should be no standing liquid on them. Refer to rule number 3 and test the hose around them for spongyness.

7. Go to the local auto parts store and see if they will pressure check the radiator for you. All the do is remove the cap with one attached to a pump and a guage. they will pump it up. If it loses pressure you have a leak and they may be able to locate it.

Hoses are typically the first to go. Generally the bottom one never gets checked because of its location and the fact that you have to drain all the water before you change it. that would be the first thing I would check. Next check your reservoir. There is a tube that runs from cap to it. Make sure the tank is not cracked and the hose is good. Sometimes, the cap itself will go bad. Those have a spring that releases when the cooling system gets to a certain pressure. If it is not releasing it could be forcing water out of a hose or somewhere else. A parts store should be able to test that.

Also, check under your passenger side floor mat for water. If the problem is in the heater core, that is often where it will show. Being that it is winter, it is a bit easier to tell because it will be difficult to keep your windows defrosted and dry.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Having a similar problem with my daughter's car, haven't tracked down the root cause yet. First time it happened I brought it home, drained all coolant and replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap, all hoses look good. She drove it for about two weeks and it did it again, so I topped it off and drove it around for a while, no problems. Can't ever find a leak, it just will start shooting steam out. Car has never overheated or even gotten above the normal temp range.

I'm going to have it looked at soon, but I fear maybe a head gasket. As enough coolant leaks out what's left could be boiling maybe? I can't smell or see any antifreeze in the oil, but I just have a bad feeling it might be that.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Sadly, I am thinking head gasket as well. Anything less than that is a bonus.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    Sadly, I am thinking head gasket as well. Anything less than that is a bonus.
    Sadly, it happens, so ILTU, you should check your oil levels often, are they increasing on their own or suddenly falling? Does the reservoir tank have a nasty, foamy or sludgy mix in it? Does the oil on the dipstick look like either of those. That could indicate a bad head gasket, or possibly even a warped head.

Still, I probably start with a pressure test to see if you can find an obvious leak. If you don't have a leaking hose or gasket, I'd fire up the engine and let it run until it is at operating temperature or overheats. If you have an electric radiator fan does it come on as the vehicle warms up? When the vehicle is warm, shut it down and carefully touch the big hoses at the top and bottom of the radiator. They should both be hot. If one is cool, that's a bad thermostat. Cheap, easy fix. I think that's the most common stuff, and it's easy to check.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Also, check the overflow hose going from the radiator cap out to the coolant overflow tank. I once had a hose with a little pin hole in it. It would let the coolant flow out into the overflow tank but it wouldn't suck it back in when the engine cooled down. After just a little while, the radiator was all out of coolant. Just a suggestion...

Also, not really sure what "barfing antifreeze" means. Is it spouting out the top from the radiator cap? Maybe the cap itself is defective. They are cheap to replace.

Let us know how it goes and Good Luck!
    Last edited by JaxSon; 11-19-2014 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Having a similar problem with my daughter's car, haven't tracked down the root cause yet. First time it happened I brought it home, drained all coolant and replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap, all hoses look good. She drove it for about two weeks and it did it again, so I topped it off and drove it around for a while, no problems. Can't ever find a leak, it just will start shooting steam out. Car has never overheated or even gotten above the normal temp range.

I'm going to have it looked at soon, but I fear maybe a head gasket. As enough coolant leaks out what's left could be boiling maybe? I can't smell or see any antifreeze in the oil, but I just have a bad feeling it might be that.
    I had a pin hole in the upper hose on my truck. I could always smell it but never saw it. The nature of the way the truck ran, if I got home and parked it, the thermostat usually opened and relieved the pressure. I happened to open the hood one day and see a pin hole size stream running out from under the hose clamp.

In both cases it might be a simple as removing the clamps and checking for a crack in the hose that runs just under the edge of the clamp.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    1. Look at . . .
    Good write up. That was nice of you to take the time to be so thorough.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Also, check the overflow hose going from the radiator cap out to the coolant overflow tank. I once had a hose with a little pin hole in it. It would let the coolant flow out into the overflow tank but it wouldn't suck it back in when the engine cooled down. After just a little while, the radiator was all out of coolant. Just a suggestion...

Also, not really sure what "barfing antifreeze" means. Is it spouting out the top from the radiator cap? Maybe the cap itself is defective. They are cheap to replace.

Let us know how it goes and Good Luck!
    I once replaced a cracked reservoir tank with a new one, only to find when the engine got warm, I was losing coolant out the radiator cap. Turned out the new tank had no opening in the bottom So, yes, per JaxSon, check the overflow hose for leaks or blockages while you're at it.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!