Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Best State to Live In?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post

Stand down young man, or I'll be forced to throw my tea bags in the toilet.
    Throw those tea bags, it'll only clog your pipes ;-)

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Sure we can change the discussion. I think Gazzak got his two cents in earlier, but yeah, I think UK should stay in the discussion. It's not like you guys are really anymore uniform than us Colonials, so where would you live? The Midlands, Wales, the Outer Hebrides, Dublin?
    One partakes in the living of Wales. Where the weather is wet and the sheep are frightened and we charge the English entry

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by corturbra View Post
    Can we change this to UK? I am resisting Americanism at present until our fuel prices reflect that of America, oh and someone opens an IHOP in my town. Then I'll be happy to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
    If it's the UK then happy where I am due to proximity of London for work, road and rail transport links, closeness to greenery etc. The only part of the UK that really took my breath away for beauty was certain areas of Scotland, so I'd live up there in the wilderness if I had to.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    If it's the UK then happy where I am due to proximity of London for work, road and rail transport links, closeness to greenery etc. The only part of the UK that really took my breath away for beauty was certain areas of Scotland, so I'd live up there in the wilderness if I had to.
    Try a drive through the Brecon Beacons during the winter months with the snow and iced waterfalls, amazing views :-) Scotland has some stunning areas as well, and if you can escape the crowds, Lake District.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Being a California girl and all, I've always had a preference for my home state. And after visiting some other states, my opinion has never wavered. Maybe it's my location. I'm just east and a little north of San Francisco, about halfway between SF and Sacramento. Anything you could want to do is within a 3 hour drive. City, country, lake, river, ocean, mountains redwoods, we have it all. Even our winters have nearly stopped (due to this on going drought.)

Don't get me wrong. I love my location, but I don't think I could muster any more disdain for So Cal if I tried. Seriously, Hollywood gives us a bad name, over and over. So, when I say California, what I really mean is NORTHERN California. If you're looking for an area with miles of nobody around, there's plenty of places like that too. All the population centers are SF/LA/San Diego.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Honestly, I've thought of moving to Europe, maybe England, though the food is as bad as you've heard and the people there rarely if ever speak actual English, except for the news. But their beer, omg, their total crap beer is on par with a lot of our good beer, and it seems to be looked upon drinking beer with lunch is still accepted. Honestly, in London, the pubs were filled with people at lunch. I tried having a pint at lunch and went to a museum after and thought it was tough going. I've no clue how business people were getting by having a pint at lunch and then going back to work.
    I think the relaxed attitude towards beer is common in Europe. I remember eating lunch in a company cafeteria in Germany (or was it France?) and they had beer available. People seem to be more mature about it over there. Yes, they might get trashed at a football match but while eating lunch at work, they use restraint.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    mmmm beer

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Being a California girl and all, I've always had a preference for my home state. And after visiting some other states, my opinion has never wavered. Maybe it's my location. I'm just east and a little north of San Francisco, about halfway between SF and Sacramento. Anything you could want to do is within a 3 hour drive. City, country, lake, river, ocean, mountains redwoods, we have it all. Even our winters have nearly stopped (due to this on going drought.)

Don't get me wrong. I love my location, but I don't think I could muster any more disdain for So Cal if I tried. Seriously, Hollywood gives us a bad name, over and over. So, when I say California, what I really mean is NORTHERN California. If you're looking for an area with miles of nobody around, there's plenty of places like that too. All the population centers are SF/LA/San Diego.
    I had family in So Cal in Riverside, Santa Monica, and in El A, and so I've spent a fair bit of time there. I really didn't like it. Never been to northern California, since all my trips to the state involved family matters. I spent a lot of years living in Central Texas and Northern Virginia. I grew to like trees, and wouldn't mind seeing some more.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I had family in So Cal in Riverside, Santa Monica, and in El A, and so I've spent a fair bit of time there. I really didn't like it. Never been to northern California, ....
    That explains it. There's nothing in So Cal for me. My daughter, otoh, looooves Malibu.

Some of the largest trees in the world grow in California and Japan and no other locations.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by corturbra View Post
    Throw those tea bags, it'll only clog your pipes ;-)
    I thought it was a matter of national pride that you Brits never, ever drank tea made from bags
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!