Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Best State to Live In?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    If money, family and hurricanes were no object, I'd definitely move down to the outer banks. It's my favorite place. Of course the taxes are astronomically, the job market is crappy, our family is all here, and once every three years or so the place nearly gets wiped out from a hurricane.....
    Yeah, I don't think we're considering the OBX, more inland a little. It probably will never happen, but something we talk about down the road once the kids are all grown up and out on their own.....
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    That's a tough question since it can be based on countless criteria. We went through West Virginia on a vacation earlier this year. My older daughter loved the beauty of the state and thought we should move there immediately. It is a beautiful state but the economy would make it difficult to settle there.

With every passing year, I grow more and more tired of Michigan winters. Especially winters close to Lake Michigan where the lake effect causes us to get extra snow and lots of cloudy weather. I love it here in the summer but someday I will definitely move away on account of the winters. I would be willing to come back for a visit in the winter but not live here. My wife and I have an interest in leaving America eventually. If that does not work out, I would settle on Florida.
    The

people

that

I

know

who

live

in

West Virginia

talk

real

slow

and

things

happen

at

their

own

pace

there.

Honestly, from someone who worked with the folks there, the state generated like a quarter of our helpdesk calls at least, the field guys were super chill but worked at their own pace, and most of the folks I spoke with were too, but will tell you right up front that the joke about how the toothbrush was invented in WV, because if it was invented elsewhere it would be called a teethbrush. They will tell you up front that the word "rural" is heavily stretched in their state. Last time I looked, half the state had not yet named most of their roads and directions are given on the phone like "go past the Hardee's for a few miles and look on the right, we're the only building." Also, their telecommunications are abysmal. I'd say about a third of my issues, and almost all of my nightmare issues in finding network circuits for sites came out of that state. Literally had one town with pulp cable run through the sewers, so communications went down when it rained, and the local telco refused to fix the issue. Verizon workers are difficult sometimes, but the word takes on a whole new meaning when dealing with folks in that state. Oh, and our field techs have become trapped in their cars for days, literally, when it snowed too much for them to drive any more, this happened a couple times, not just once. They were rescued days after being trapped. So, if you move there, keep some datrex rations and water in the car, and a few space blankets. Oh, and laws, yeah, they don't have a lot of the laws that concern folks in most states. None o' that reg-u-lashun them hippy libtards like so much. A plant that made ammonia exploded there a few years back, had to evacuate the town around it. Giant chemical or petro fires that blocked roads for days... If there was a really f****d up thing happening, it always seemed to happen in that state.

Just from a personal perspective, I'd never move near that state unless looking to get away from everything and everyone. Just FYI.

Oh and if looking to get away from the winters near you, just move anywhere not where you are. The places I found people to be the friendliest are in the south. FYI, about FL, look at the news and look where all the crazy and most fouled up news comes from. It's FL. Seems to be, FL for crazy and horrible "zombie ate a mans face, babies hooked on meth, etc", TX for dumb "books containing science banned in X district", and CA for "the states banning what now?".

Also, there's the perspective I have had when talking to people on the phone from many states. People in the south seem slightly more laid back, "Sigh, this is taking more than 15 min, can we do this tomorrow?", people in the north east need to lay off the coffee and realize that time is not something humans can play with "OMGIDON'TKNOWWHATI'MGONNADOINEEDTHISFIXEDNOWWHOSY OURBOSS!?!?!?", California seems to be populated by people who speak like they just got done getting baked and surfing if young, but the older folks still have to have things done asap "Oh, ya, well, there's like an issue with the server or something", or "um, yeah, I don't think that's a reasonable solution to my issue at the present time, can we please move this along at a rate that is more conducive to me getting to yoga class on time?".

Honestly, I've thought of moving to Europe, maybe England, though the food is as bad as you've heard and the people there rarely if ever speak actual English, except for the news. But their beer, omg, their total crap beer is on par with a lot of our good beer, and it seems to be looked upon drinking beer with lunch is still accepted. Honestly, in London, the pubs were filled with people at lunch. I tried having a pint at lunch and went to a museum after and thought it was tough going. I've no clue how business people were getting by having a pint at lunch and then going back to work.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 12-03-2014 at 05:38 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I would move back to Montana if I had the money. I really loved the time I spent in Billings. It had all the things you want in a big city and the country is as simple as leaving the city limits. Its not like when I lived in Minneapolis and I had to drive through another dozen towns to get out into the country.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Yeah, I don't think we're considering the OBX, more inland a little. It probably will never happen, but something we talk about down the road once the kids are all grown up and out on their own.....
    I LOVED that area, all of NC is just so nice. I mentioned to the wife that if I could get a decent internet connection that we'd go live there one day. You get inland and it's just nice people, and not too expensive. That said, the OBX kind of gets roads just washed away when the storms come, so, there's that...

Oh, after mentioning it, she thought I was totally serious and being moved away from the kids and her parents and such meant that I had a quiet car ride for a while until I let her know it was just a passing thought. Yeah, I'm stuck in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    If money, family and hurricanes were no object, I'd definitely move down to the outer banks. It's my favorite place. Of course the taxes are astronomically, the job market is crappy, our family is all here, and once every three years or so the place nearly gets wiped out from a hurricane.....
    LOL, yeah. Also, that one single road that goes through the whole place. Washed out by hurricane, oh, you're not going to the other islands today, or for this month for that matter..." Also, "Wasn't there a bird sanctuary here?"

Really though, how the heck did blackbeard make those islands his home??? There's nothing but grass and sand, no where to hide, zero food, just how did he hide from the royal navy for so long? They must not have looked very hard...
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 12-03-2014 at 05:33 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I would move back to Montana if I had the money. I really loved the time I spent in Billings. It had all the things you want in a big city and the country is as simple as leaving the city limits. Its not like when I lived in Minneapolis and I had to drive through another dozen towns to get out into the country.
    But, doggone!, it's cold up there. For like a quarter of a century, I said I never wanted to live farther north than Austin, Texas, and damned if I didn't move to Northern Virginia, and then back to the High Plains. Too late to talk to my physician about adjusting my meds, but I would still like to be back in Central Texas; Burnette, New Braunfels, Bastrop, suburbs of San Antonio, not the Panhandle.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    But, doggone!, it's cold up there. For like a quarter of a century, I said I never wanted to live farther north than Austin, Texas, and damned if I didn't move to Northern Virginia, and then back to the High Plains. Too late to talk to my physician about adjusting my meds, but I would still like to be back in Central Texas; Burnette, New Braunfels, Bastrop, suburbs of San Antonio, not the Panhandle.
    I found the Billings area to be a bit milder then the western part of the state and typically milder than the MN/WI area

I refuse to go south because I am a bit of an insect phobe. Any but bigger than my thumb nail freaks me the hell out
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Honestly, I've thought of moving to Europe, maybe England, though the food is as bad as you've heard and the people there rarely if ever speak actual English, except for the news. But their beer, omg, their total crap beer is on par with a lot of our good beer, and it seems to be looked upon drinking beer with lunch is still accepted. Honestly, in London, the pubs were filled with people at lunch. I tried having a pint at lunch and went to a museum after and thought it was tough going. I've no clue how business people were getting by having a pint at lunch and then going back to work.
    Your information is absolutely spot on.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I found the Billings area to be a bit milder then the western part of the state and typically milder than the MN/WI area

I refuse to go south because I am a bit of an insect phobe. Any but bigger than my thumb nail freaks me the hell out
    Surprisingly enough, since the Texas Panhandle is officially (and in fact is) semi-arid, we have about the biggest effing mosquitoes I've encountered anywhere but the Gulf Coast. Screwy weather too. I've had friends from Alaska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota tell me they never been as cold in their lives as living here. Can't believe the Comanche and Kiowa fought for this area. Can't believe settlers wanted it.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Your information is absolutely spot on.
    There is a lot of great beer in America, but where most of our bars and pubs fall down is that it's very, very difficult to get away from CO2 dispensing systems, and that's especially true in some of the big bars that have literally hundreds of beers on tap. I'm very used to CAMRA thumbing their nose at us folk on this side of the pond.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Eventually the wife and I want to move to either North or South Carolina.
    I like NC. I nearly took a job in Raleigh 20 odd years ago, and I really liked the area. I also found some of the areas in the Appalachians like Black Mountain and Asheville to be really gorgeous.
    WIFFLEBALL!