Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What's the Best State to Live In?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Here's tonights tipple...
    While I like Porters and Stouts, I'm pretty much a hop head, so I gravitate to IPAs. However, I've certainly sucked down a bunch of McEwan's, and Belhaven, as well as a lot of various Samuel Smith and Young's products. But, outside of large cities, it's very difficult to find anything from smaller English brewers, though Bateman Brewers has been in and out in the American market over the last 30 years.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    This is what I'm drinking tonight; and it's served in a tall, frosty mug. Can't beat it!
    Shiner is a pretty good middle ground between micro and macro brewers; not the best, but a lot better than mainstream swill. I certainly drink a lot of Shiner products. Recently, Shiner has really started to offer a lot more variety.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    But it's not cold, right????
    The main reason so many American beers, like virtually any Bud or Millers/Coors product is served really cold, is so they can't be tasted.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    While I like Porters and Stouts, I'm pretty much a hop head, so I gravitate to IPAs. However, I've certainly sucked down a bunch of McEwan's, and Belhaven, as well as a lot of various Samuel Smith and Young's products. But, outside of large cities, it's very difficult to find anything from smaller English brewers, though Bateman Brewers has been in and out in the American market over the last 30 years.
    I used to have a Connoiseur's Guide to Beer.

For Belhaven Scottish Ale, it said "Starts out with a taste reminiscent of old socks, and gets worse as you drink it."
    Worst. Review. Evar!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post

For Belhaven Scottish Ale, it said "Starts out with a taste reminiscent of old socks, and gets worse as you drink it."
    Worst. Review. Evar!
    That's pretty funny. Belhaven is certainly not as good as McEwan's, it certainly is NOT as bad as the review. Possibly he got one that had gone off.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I swear, the older I get, the grumpier I get about beer. Esp American micro beer. It is a race to see who can pour in the most hops. I stick with the macros because I can't stand all the damn hops or other jerkass flavors everyone puts in. Seriously, enough with the damn hops, oh gee, another micro IPA is out with some catchy name. Unfortunately seeing the same stupidity tring to get in my bourbon with stupid flavorings. I do like an occasional German or Czech beer though

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post

Worst. Review. Evar!
    Usually, once you get past the first couple of tough ones, it gets better. For it to get worse, it must REALLY be bad.

Falstaff was probably the worst commercial beer that I ever tasted. It's amazing that it lasted as long as it did before they went under.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    I swear, the older I get, the grumpier I get about beer. Esp American micro beer. It is a race to see who can pour in the most hops. I stick with the macros because I can't stand all the damn hops or other jerkass flavors everyone puts in. Seriously, enough with the damn hops, oh gee, another micro IPA is out with some catchy name. Unfortunately seeing the same stupidity tring to get in my bourbon with stupid flavorings. I do like an occasional German or Czech beer though
    There's plenty of beer from micros that isn't all that hoppy. Plenty of micros brew traditional American Pale Ales, Porters, Stouts, and Lagers that are flavorful without lots of hops. Sam Adams has a great range of flavors, and Shiner certainly isn't a one trick pony anymore. How about Anchor Steam Lager? I just happen to love the aroma and taste of hops. For me, a nosefull of Cascade hops is a little slice of Heaven. I also like some of the new hop varieties that have a bit of citrus or even pine tastes. But, I certainly don't drink IPAs exclusively.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    There's plenty of beer from micros that isn't all that hoppy. Plenty of micros brew traditional American Pale Ales, Porters, Stouts, and Lagers that are flavorful without lots of hops. Sam Adams has a great range of flavors, and Shiner certainly isn't a one trick pony anymore. How about Anchor Steam Lager? I just happen to love the aroma and taste of hops. For me, a nosefull of Cascade hops is a little slice of Heaven. I also like some of the new hop varieties that have a bit of citrus or even pine tastes. But, I certainly don't drink IPAs exclusively.
    I drink Shiner and Sam on occasion, but steer clear of smaller than them

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    I drink Shiner and Sam on occasion, but steer clear of smaller than them
    By all means, you should drink what you like. I don't want to sound like I'm some sort of, well Hell! whats the beer equivalent of a foodie? A beerie? Doesn't sound right. Anyway, I don't want to sound like most of the posters on ratebeer.com, but I think you're missing out some. Anyway, here is an interesting short article about craft brewing in the U.S. from Forbes.
    WIFFLEBALL!