Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas to all

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I use a New Braunfels Smoker with a side mounted firebox. Cooking a decent size brisket takes around 14 hours. That's a lot of time spent tending the fire. Now, I know some folks say that you can just smoke the brisket for about 4 hours, wrap it in foil, and finish it in the oven, but it doesn't taste the same. For my birthday this year, I'm buying one of these pellet smokers. When I first suggested it to my wife she said, "Holy Crap! That's insanely expensive!" Then this week she asked me "So when does the smoker arrive? I can't believe you don't have it already!"
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    We are having Christmas Dinner with some neighbors. They are serving squab of all things. Good thing I have a bunch of leftovers in my fridge.
    I had to Google that. You're eating a pigeon? A delicacy among the homeless.

We planned on making pierogies and kielbasa today but ended up just eating leftovers from Christmas Eve while playing games for the bulk of the day.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    We planned on making pierogies and kielbasa today but ended up just eating leftovers from Christmas Eve while playing games for the bulk of the day.
    I would just about kill for homemade kielbasa. There are a bunch of small Polish communities about an hour east of San Antonio in Karnes County; Panna Maria, Kosciusko, Pawelekville, Cestohowa, etc. where you used to get killer food at some of the little mom and pop restaurants and butcher shops. Not like living in the Panhandle where the concepts of "bland" and "tasteless" were apparently invented. Luka's Bakery in La Grange made the best sausage kolaches I've ever tasted, though.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    I had to Google that. You're eating a pigeon? A delicacy among the homeless.

False alarm. We ended up with ham and a bunch of other good stuff. and a nice time was had by all.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Ended up going to the Iron Skillet at a local truck stop. Had a dynamite buffet with prime rib, turkey, ham with all the fixings. Left completely stuffed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    False alarm. We ended up with ham and a bunch of other good stuff. and a nice time was had by all.
    When I was a kid, I used to go birding with one of my uncles. I remember shooting and eating squab, pheasant, and dove, but in terms of flavor the only game bird that really made an impression on me was turkey. Mostly, my uncle shot those with a 20 gauge; bagging a turkey with a 410 and the loads I could handle back in the day was problematic to say the least.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    When I was a kid, I used to go birding with one of my uncles. I remember shooting and eating squab, pheasant, and dove, but in terms of flavor the only game bird that really made an impression on me was turkey. Mostly, my uncle shot those with a 20 gauge; bagging a turkey with a 410 and the loads I could handle back in the day was problematic to say the least.
    I had pheasant under glass with jitbob several years ago in Washington. Pretty good stuff I must say.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Merry xmas and happy new years peoples.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Happy belated to all! The university I work at shuts down from Xmas eve on through the new year so I haven't been at work (or online really much) since the 23rd. Hope everybody had a great and safe holiday season!
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I had pheasant under glass with jitbob several years ago in Washington. Pretty good stuff I must say.
    Wild turkey and the domestic bird are so far apart in taste that they shouldn't even both be called turkey. Compared to wild turkey, domestic turkey tastes like sawdust. I don't think I've had wild turkey since I was about 12. Though I do still occasionally enjoy Wild Turkey
    WIFFLEBALL!