Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framed!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Framed!

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, one of my Christmas gifts to Younger Child was a limited edition print of a Hellboy painting signed by Mike Mignola, Wayne Barlowe, and Guillermo Del Toro. Since YC has a birthday real soon now, I told her I would have the print framed along with a Studio Killers print she had. My wife suggested I check Michaels website for a coupon, and lo, there was a coupon for 60 percent off framing a single item or 65 percent off on two items. But it expired the same day I downloaded and printed the coupon.

So, YC and I hit the road for Amarillo. Arriving at Michaels, we went to the framing department. The clerk who waited on us was very young, but very professional and helpful. YC picked out a frame and matte for Studio Killers, but even with the discount it was $119 to get it framed. I choked, and put that on hold.

When we unrolled the Hellboy print, the clerk was truly impressed, and started gushing all over YC, who tried to play it cool, but lost it when the clerk said she was going to have her girlfriends come to the store and see the print. So, after a couple of minutes of female bonding, YC picked out a great frame and matte combo, and it set me back "only" $254. And yes, that was $254 after the 60% discount. Of course, as the clerk pointed out, I saved $461 with the coupon.

She was wrong, because if I have been told it would it would cost $715 to frame the print, I wouldn't have done it and therefore would have saved $715; not just $461. Still the framed Hellboy print is something YC will likely keep for life, and enjoy long after I'm dead. Not a bad investment. I think we already have a frame and glass the will work for Studio Killers, and we can get the print matted for about $15.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 01-12-2015 at 10:02 PM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Pretty cool. She should remember you fondly, as long as you don't write her out of your will.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    Pretty cool. She should remember you fondly, as long as you don't write her out of your will.
    I'd never do that. I want her to have every penny of the $11.37 she and her sister are likely to inherit and split.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I'd never do that. I want her to have every penny of the $11.37 she and her sister are likely to inherit and split.
    How are they going to split the pennies if it's an odd number?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    How are they going to split the pennies if it's an odd number?
    Difficult decision. I think Elder Child, being uh, the elder, should probably have it. On the other hand, YC is a bit more odd, so perhaps she deserves it.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Elder Child is also just a couple of months from her birthday, and since I may have to soon suck up another horrific bill for text books, I've started to buy her gifts early. Just bought her The Lord of the Rings trilogy on Amazon video, and I bought her a new knife; a Kershaw Cryo II. I carry one of these and really like it. I prefer the drop point version to the modified tanto point, because I think it's more useful in everyday applications. I really like the Ken Onion designed SpeedSafe opening assist knives. She now has a couple of them. I'm also picking up the tab for EC's Tae Kwon Do classes. Sensei thinks she could compete at state level. I tend to think of EC as being somewhat spacey and goofy, but I've watched some videos of her sparring, and she is surprisingly focused and effective facing an opponent. Still gotta get her a gun and training for the concealed carry permit she can have next year, too. And, yes, I know our British members think I'm batshit crazy.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread, one of my Christmas gifts to Younger Child was a limited edition print of a Hellboy painting signed by Mike Mignola, Wayne Barlowe, and Guillermo Del Toro. Since YC has a birthday real soon now, I told her I would have the print framed along with a Studio Killers print she had. My wife suggested I check Michaels website for a coupon, and lo, there was a coupon for 60 percent off framing a single item or 65 percent off on two items. But it expired the same day I downloaded and printed the coupon.

So, YC and I hit the road for Amarillo. Arriving at Michaels, we went to the framing department. The clerk who waited on us was very young, but very professional and helpful. YC picked out a frame and matte for Studio Killers, but even with the discount it was $119 to get it framed. I choked, and put that on hold.

When we unrolled the Hellboy print, the clerk was truly impressed, and started gushing all over YC, who tried to play it cool, but lost it when the clerk said she was going to have her girlfriends come to the store and see the print. So, after a couple of minutes of female bonding, YC picked out a great frame and matte combo, and it set me back "only" $254. And yes, that was $254 after the 60% discount. Of course, as the clerk pointed out, I saved $461 with the coupon.

She was wrong, because if I have been told it would it would cost $715 to frame the print, I wouldn't have done it and therefore would have saved $715; not just $461. Still the framed Hellboy print is something YC will likely keep for life, and enjoy long after I'm dead. Not a bad investment. I think we already have a frame and glass the will work for Studio Killers, and we can get the print matted for about $15.
    Did something similar when buying a wyeth print for parents when I had 1st job, but frame was like $100 or something (that was a ton to me).

From then on I bought my frames at kmart and walmart and such or ordered something online.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Did something similar when buying a wyeth print for parents when I had 1st job, but frame was like $100 or something (that was a ton to me).

From then on I bought my frames at kmart and walmart and such or ordered something online.
    Yeah,I totally get it. But getting Hellboy framed was a once in a lifetime deal. It cost way too much, but Younger Child will enjoy it for many years. I may not leave my kids wealthy when I croak, but I hope to leave them with good memories of their Old Man.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    And, yes, I know our British members think I'm batshit crazy.
    I don't think you're batshit crazy, well aside from paying silly $$$ for a framed film poster that is.... ;-)
    Last edited by corturbra; 01-16-2015 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling mistook

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by corturbra View Post
    I don't think you're batshit crazy, well aside from paying silly $$$ for a framed film poster that is.... ;-)
    Gazzak would disagree. Still, there are only 130 copies of the triple autographed print, and I could only find like 3 for sale, so I was happy to score one for about $100.
    WIFFLEBALL!