Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming services and what are you using.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Actually, I do Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I do Prime mostly for the incredibly cheap shipping. These days, I'm mostly out of the hardware biz, but sometimes I still have to sell some PSUs or whatever. I also buy and rent text books from Amazon. Costs about four bucks to upgrade from free 2 day to overnight. With what I save on shipping, my Prime membership pays for itself about every 2 months.

But, both Hulu and Netflix offer better video. Amazon tends to offer a season or two of a show for free, and then they want to charge you out the wazoo for new episodes. I watch a couple of shows on Hulu, and they have a better selection of Anime than Netflix, but Netflix produces better in-house content like House of Cards, and they have a great selection of Brit crime dramas. I'm a serious British crime show junkie.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 01-15-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    I find stuff via torrent as well occasionally. I wish there was an easier way to get the stuff to the tv though. We have to transfer the stuff to the surface or laptop and then hook up via hdmi. It would be nice if I could stream local network content via the roku.
    I hated that as well. I was almost to the point where I was going to build a little desktop for keeping connected to the TV and then I discovered (while in our beach house in OBX actually) that bluray players with USB will play most stuff right off a flash drive, so I go that route now.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I hated that as well. I was almost to the point where I was going to build a little desktop for keeping connected to the TV and then I discovered (while in our beach house in OBX actually) that bluray players with USB will play most stuff right off a flash drive, so I go that route now.
    I'll have to check out our blu ray player! I can also upgrade the roku to a usb model which is an option too!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    As soon as my Comcast contract runs out I'm going to cancel and get a pair of rabbit ears. The only streaming service I have is Netflix. But if I cancel cable then I'll get Hulu and Prime as well.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    As soon as my Comcast contract runs out I'm going to cancel and get a pair of rabbit ears. The only streaming service I have is Netflix. But if I cancel cable then I'll get Hulu and Prime as well.
    It really feels good to do it. Not only did I save money, I did not feel obligated to watch TV because I was paying close to 100 bucks for it.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Hulu users, how soon after a broadcast does the show appear?
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Also for movies g2g.fm

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    It really feels good to do it. Not only did I save money, I did not feel obligated to watch TV because I was paying close to 100 bucks for it.
    To be truthful, going with rabbit ears won't do it for you. You HAVE to have an outdoor antenna mounted on the roof. I have tried all of the "high tech, high def" indoor antennas and none of them will pull in all of the channels. If you live in the city, even a cheap outdoor antenna will work great. But I understand living in an apartment might make that unfeasible for you. You might try experimenting with different indoor models to see if they work for you before disconnecting that cable. Just saying...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    To be truthful, going with rabbit ears won't do it for you. You HAVE to have an outdoor antenna mounted on the roof. I have tried all of the "high tech, high def" indoor antennas and none of them will pull in all of the channels. If you live in the city, even a cheap outdoor antenna will work great. But I understand living in an apartment might make that unfeasible for you. You might try experimenting with different indoor models to see if they work for you before disconnecting that cable. Just saying...
    they work but you have to keep fucking with them. I might have to go back on lifeline even though I heard they are going to raise the price of that. I still want my OTA stations and since they added shit like MEtv and some movie channels, it might take up the slack.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    To be truthful, going with rabbit ears won't do it for you. You HAVE to have an outdoor antenna mounted on the roof.
    I am in the woods and I get 7-8 channels with a 2-ft piece of wire stuck in the antenna connector. Sure they are junk but better than nothing after hurricane Sandy when the internet went down and Uverse with it...