Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming services and what are you using.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I am in the woods and I get 7-8 channels with a 2-ft piece of wire stuck in the antenna connector. Sure they are junk but better than nothing after hurricane Sandy when the internet went down and Uverse with it...
    When I lived out in the country, I picked up 38 channels with my antenna mounted up on the chimney. About 1/4 of those were Spanish but still, that's a lot of channels. Now that I've moved into the city, I can only pick up about 7 or 8 of those same channels with an indoor antenna. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense...but it's true. One of my city neighbors works for DirecTV and his house is about the only one in the area with an OUTDOOR antenna mounted on his roof.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I am not even sure where I would mount an antenna unless I run one up the gutter. Even if I did that, I am not certain I want something on my house that could attract lightning. I have way too much electronical stuff around here.

I may see if tossing one in the attic would help.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I am not even sure where I would mount an antenna unless I run one up the gutter. Even if I did that, I am not certain I want something on my house that could attract lightning. I have way too much electronical stuff around here.

I may see if tossing one in the attic would help.
    You may remember that almost EVERYbody had TV antennas mounted up their roofs back when we were kids. Very few of those ever got struck by lightning.

The best way is to mount the antenna on a 15-20 foot pole (enough to get over the rooftop) and brace that pole with a bracket attached to the eve of your house. Of course, ground the pole and run high quality cable into the house and you should be just fine.

But they do sell brackets for mounting on the side of the house, chimney kits, etc.
    Last edited by JaxSon; 01-15-2015 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    To be truthful, going with rabbit ears won't do it for you. You HAVE to have an outdoor antenna mounted on the roof. I have tried all of the "high tech, high def" indoor antennas and none of them will pull in all of the channels. If you live in the city, even a cheap outdoor antenna will work great. But I understand living in an apartment might make that unfeasible for you. You might try experimenting with different indoor models to see if they work for you before disconnecting that cable. Just saying...
    I have a friend who lives in an apartment near me and has rabbit ears and picks up tons of channels. I watched a full 49ers game there before and it was great. Full HD, no interference. Worked fine. I know what you mean though. It's a legit concern. That was my fear too based on articles I read. But then I saw his first-hand and had a whole different outlook on it. Plus, it's a $40 investment at Fry's. So no big loss even if it doesn't work out.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    You may remember that almost EVERYbody had TV antennas mounted up their roofs back when we were kids. Very few of those ever got struck by lightning.

The best way is to mount the antenna on a 15-20 foot pole (enough to get over the rooftop) and brace that pole with a bracket attached to the eve of your house. Of course, ground the pole and run high quality cable into the house and you should be just fine.

But they do sell brackets for mounting on the side of the house, chimney kits, etc.
    Yeah, but there were also phone poles and other things to attract lightening. There is nothing around me above ground. No trees and no power lines or phone poles. Still not taking the chance.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I have a friend who lives in an apartment near me and has rabbit ears and picks up tons of channels. I watched a full 49ers game there before and it was great. Full HD, no interference. Worked fine. I know what you mean though. It's a legit concern. That was my fear too based on articles I read. But then I saw his first-hand and had a whole different outlook on it. Plus, it's a $40 investment at Fry's. So no big loss even if it doesn't work out.
    Save your original packing materials so you can take it back for full refund. That's what I did.
    Yes you can pick up some channels and if you're lucky, those will be the ones you're looking for. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic.
    Having said that, I'm on Uverse and I gotta say, I'm impressed. Getting 50mbs on their hi speed Internet and HD content on cable. Occasionally watch Netflix but usually basic stuff on cable, mostly sports.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    geeze, I pay a shit ton for 10 mb download...I might be able to get 20 but I am pushing distance to switch...

I can stream Netflix but if the kids are online playing games I lose HD. My choice is kick them off or buy a new router and QoS my hardware

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I moved into a neighborhood with fiber optic so I made out on that deal.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    No doubt. I am a bit jealous

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Hulu users, how soon after a broadcast does the show appear?
    Most shows are delayed a day after broadcast, but they generally have this weird arrangement with the broadcasters where they can only have the 5 most recent episodes online. PITA. For movies and shows that aren't mainstream, they don't have the same restrictions. Their streamed versions of broadcast content also whacks you with short commercials, and it' s less painful than broadcast TV.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!