Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming services and what are you using.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Save your original packing materials so you can take it back for full refund. That's what I did.
    Yes you can pick up some channels and if you're lucky, those will be the ones you're looking for. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic.
    Having said that, I'm on Uverse and I gotta say, I'm impressed. Getting 50mbs on their hi speed Internet and HD content on cable. Occasionally watch Netflix but usually basic stuff on cable, mostly sports.
    True. Good point. Fry's is usually pretty good about returns. It's possible my friend just got lucky and is in a good area. Maybe my apartment won't be so lucky. But either way, I'm also not canceling my Comcast until I know for sure what's what. My area doesn't qualify for Uverse. I was thinking about that though.

For the record, I get over 50mb where I'm at. So bandwidth is not an issue for streaming stuff.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    geeze, I pay a shit ton for 10 mb download...I might be able to get 20 but I am pushing distance to switch...

I can stream Netflix but if the kids are online playing games I lose HD. My choice is kick them off or buy a new router and QoS my hardware
    With Elder Child off at college, the only online gaming at our house is my wife's Wizards 101 habit. But even with the house on a 15 Mbps connection, streaming a movie or two simultaneously works just fine. I still want to kill cable TV and spend the difference on faster internet.We have 3 Roku boxes, so I doubt we would ever miss cable. The office is on 50 Mbps, but I do a bunch of downloads while also watching online movies. As I've said before, a lot of computer service consists of hurry up and wait. You need something to keep you occupied while that progress bar crawls across the screen.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What do you guys use to stream
    Torrents all the way. Odd thing is, I use more bandwidth surfing and on youtube than torrenting.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I am not even sure where I would mount an antenna unless I run one up the gutter. Even if I did that, I am not certain I want something on my house that could attract lightning. I have way too much electronical stuff around here.

I may see if tossing one in the attic would help.
    Mostly, what JaxSon said in his reply. But, my local building code requires even modest antennas, satellite dishes, and electrical systems to be grounded with an 8 ft x 5/8" copper rod, and solid copper wire. To drive one of these rods, you need to borrow, steal, rent, or buy a fence post driver. You need to finish the last bit with Sledge-O-Matic. Put the grounding clamp on the rod before you drive it. After that, it's unlikely your house is ever going to be damaged by a lightening strike.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My wife needs subtitles to enjoy a movie now. I suspect many other people are also in this same situation. Netflix? Useless. Catch up TV? Useless. Heck even some movies we rent on DVD for this very reason don't have subtitles.

Nightmare.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    My wife needs subtitles to enjoy a movie now.
    is there a specific reason (like loss of hearing or something)

I suspect many other people are also in this same situation.
    I actually find subtitles on english movies annoying and distracting. It may help occasionally with an unintelligible line or low volume dialogue, but most of the time, it just distracts me.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My wife needs subtitles to enjoy a movie now. I suspect many other people are also in this same situation. Netflix? Useless. Catch up TV? Useless. Heck even some movies we rent on DVD for this very reason don't have subtitles.

Nightmare.
    Netflix has subtitles. I use them on a couple programs.

Oh wait, I forget you are in the UK?

The US I think by law has to have them.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    is there a specific reason (like loss of hearing or something)
    I actually find subtitles on english movies annoying and distracting. It may help occasionally with an unintelligible line or low volume dialogue, but most of the time, it just distracts me.
    She has tinitus which means higher pitched voices are very difficult to hear. I'm used to subtitles now, seems weird not seeing them.

Netflix has subtitles. I use them on a couple programs.

Oh wait, I forget you are in the UK?

The US I think by law has to have them.
    Interesting, I may look further into this.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    She has tinitus which means higher pitched voices are very difficult to hear. I'm used to subtitles now, seems weird not seeing them.

that makes sense!

also as Larommi said, netflix in the us has subs. check and see if they are in the UK too. If not isn't there a website to change the netflix country of origin? you might be able to do that and see the US content with subs.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    that makes sense!

also as Larommi said, netflix in the us has subs. check and see if they are in the UK too. If not isn't there a website to change the netflix country of origin? you might be able to do that and see the US content with subs.
    Yeah, I occasionally turn subtitles on when watching Netflix, especially if it is something with heavy accents.

Hey, did you ever try your bluray player out yet for USB compatibility?
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison