Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five News Sources

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Five News Sources

OK, every morning I get up, take my kid to school, then guzzle coffee and read the news. My routine is pretty consistent. I read the Washington Post, Krebsonsecurity, Forbes, ZDNet, and Technet. So, what do you do for news?
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I open facebook while on the crapper.
    I don't do news. News are depressing, misleading and generally very biased, in almost all instances with an agenda - whether it is to make money or to support a set of ideas.
    I also don't watch news on TV for the very same reason.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I open facebook while on the crapper.
    I don't do news. News are depressing, misleading and generally very biased, in almost all instances with an agenda - whether it is to make money or to support a set of ideas.
    I also don't watch news on TV for the very same reason.
    Must be nice to be all wise and all knowing. At least you read Facebook at the appropriate location.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Must be nice to be all wise and all knowing. At least you read Facebook at the appropriate location.
    Actually the trending articles sometimes have something good in them. You just have to sort through Huffington and TheBLaze bullshit.

I watch the morning local NBC affiliate and the Evening news with Brian Williams. My homepage is news.google.com. Reddit has some good stuff too.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I go through phases. I used to really enjoy reading The Economist but I did not have the time to keep up with it so I let my subscription lapse. Now, I read my hometown newspaper (about 12 pages) and the news app from the local NBC affiliate.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I can't handle the local news anymore. Just killings, robbings, beatings, etc. Very depressing.

In the mornings, I check ESPN, CNN and sometimes, the Today Show. I also watch Brian Williams on NBC's Nightly News.

Since I moved into the big city and now have Uverse, I have full access to Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, the whole guantlet. Hell, they even have Al Jazeera. The people on Fox and MSNBC definitely have an agenda to push. I actually watch Hardball with Chris Mathews sometimes. He's a likable guy. And I also occasionally watch Bill O'Reilly. But any of those other "personalities" like Sean Hannity and Rachel Maddow just seem mad all the time and push their agendas really hard. So I don't watch them. I do like Wolf Blitzer as he seems to ask the hard questions to everybody...doesn't play favorites. And CNN doesn't try to push an agenda...at least, I haven't seen it yet.

I miss sitting down with a good paper and a cup of coffee...maybe a smoke...and casually flipping through the different sections. Usually start with the Front Page, move quickly to the Sports section and then the Comics. If I had time, maybe look at the local Metro section. But nobody puts out good papers anymore. The local rag is just that...a rag.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I get a lot of news from KGO 810AM (news talk radio) which I listen to in the morning as I'm getting ready for work. Then of course I get things from The Daily Show and Robin's news on the Howard Stern Show. Then I get some stuff from Yahoo. I read a lot of tech related blogs like Gizmodo and Engadget. I used to get some stuff from The Colbert Report but since he's not on anymore now I get things from The Nightly Show. Hmm, what else... I also listen to Alan Colmes on 910AM in the evenings sometimes (usually only if there's absolutely nothing else to listen to during the commute home on a school night). Although that is purely for entertainment and I don't exactly get any news from it. I think Alan Colmes must be some kind of fake, extreme, super-left-wing thing created by Roger Ailes. The whole show is Alan Colmes being a stereotypical super extreme leftist with either super extreme racist, bigot, conservative, red-neck right-wingers calling in or these sick, depressing, bleeding heart, extreme liberals calling in. It's always the same callers that call every night too. I'm convinced the show exists for conservatives to listen to and have their stereotypical views of liberals reinforced. The show is comedy gold. LOL.

But yeah, now that I'm writing this I'm realizing that I don't have that many news resources. Most of that stuff is just my daily entertainment. KGO and Yahoo seem to be my 2 main news resources.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    I miss sitting down with a good paper and a cup of coffee...maybe a smoke...and casually flipping through the different sections. Usually start with the Front Page, move quickly to the Sports section and then the Comics. If I had time, maybe look at the local Metro section. But nobody puts out good papers anymore. The local rag is just that...a rag.
    The online version of the Houston paper is beyond garbage. Hell, some of the best "print" reporting in the country's fourth biggest city comes out of the free papers. But I still stupidly check it out.

Hit Huffpost a couple times a week, WSJ at least once a week. Otherwise I try to find decent AP feeds and will find what I can on the webs(usually try to cross reference articles that are "hard hitting")

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just as we were talking up Brian Williams, this happens:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/04/medi...ory/index.html

I was watching when he started apologizing. Very awkward.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yahoo, Daily Rotation, Wtam 1100, local Fox affiliate.