Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best headphones to get?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What about Sennheiser... do they make good headphones? I keep hearing about them too.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Here's ultimately what I'm looking for:
    - Over the ear
    - Doesn't have any sections that pull hair out of head
    - Hopefully bluetooth wireless with decent battery life
    - Less than $150
    - Not too bulky
    - Decent bass

A friend of mine has a pair of Bose headphones that seemed pretty cool. But they were wired. Although I have a feeling bluetooth is sucky so I'll probably just end up getting a wired pair anyway.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I wonder how these companies come up with the prices though. I mean, why is one headphone set $40 but then another is $150 and yet another is $300. What's the difference? They all kinda seem the same to me.
    The price of [insert name here] is the amount someone is willing to pay for it.
    That being said, it is possible that the more expensive units have slightly better specs. Will 99% of people realize in a blind test? Doubtful. But there is a difference when going from a size of driver to another.
    I only got to use a pair of Sennheiser, I liked them very much, but they were studio-level (read $$$). Not as comfortable for long use as the Panasonic.
    You won't go running/hiking with any of these.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What about Sennheiser... do they make good headphones? I keep hearing about them too.
    Not sure about over ear but their earbuds are amazing. I use a pair with a boom mic when gaming and sometimes I listen to music through them.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Here's ultimately what I'm looking for:
    - Over the ear
    - Doesn't have any sections that pull hair out of head
    - Hopefully bluetooth wireless with decent battery life
    - Less than $150
    - Not too bulky
    - Decent bass

A friend of mine has a pair of Bose headphones that seemed pretty cool. But they were wired. Although I have a feeling bluetooth is sucky so I'll probably just end up getting a wired pair anyway.
    Personally, I am not sold on BT for streaming...I am sure it does fine when moving data but even when I have my phone next to a BT speaker like by Jambox, the audio will sometimes cut out for a microsecond, almost like a lost packet. Wired is tried and true.

Besides, you can get more for less if you go wired. Unless you have a compelling reason for wireless, like you are a mountain climber, I personally would stick with wired.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    . What's the difference? They all kinda seem the same to me.
    they are and they are not. Headphones that come from a company that actually specializes in sound tend to be a little better, but that comes from smarter research. the only reason to buy those is if you have robotic ears. My hearing is perfect so sometimes I can hear the difference and sometimes I cannot. You have to weigh what hear vs what your wallet tells you.

Marketing is a huge thing because American consumers for the most part are just dumb. Slap a fancy name on a turd or sell it at Wal-Mart and we will buy it. 90% of the time, the reasoning behind a higher price is pure bullshit. Take Beats by Dre for example. 40 dollar headphones, Dre's name, 300 dollar headphones. That is about as big of a scam as gold plating something because that will make it better. Gold is indeed a better conductor, but plating an inferior conductor does not make it better. You are still traveling through shit to get from point A to B.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Go to Fry's or Best Bizzle with your audio device loaded with your music and just try them...it is the only true way to figure out what you want. Make sure you have a variety of music and make sure it is a good quality rip.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That reminds me, I have a little Logitech BT box I use with iPhone. Now you are reminding me about how it does cut out periodically. I do like them a lot though. I would say uptime is about 98%. So those cut outs are minimal. I guess the same would be true with BT headphones?

Yeah, it's looking like a trip to Fry's is in order. My hearing is not perfect by a longshot by the way. My ears tend to get kinda plugged up when I have allergies (which hasn't been that bad since quitting smoking.... but still have it a little). So in other words, my ears probably wouldn't distinguish the difference between high quality audio and average audio. So maybe for me comfort and cost would be the things to focus more on.

CeeBee,... those Panasonics look ok and the price is right. But they do look a little bulky. You use them and they are comfortable?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    By the way, sorry if I sound super picky about this. Normally I always know exactly what I want when it comes to electronics. But for whatever reason I just can't get a handle on what I want for headphones. Been super wishy washy about this. Not really sure what I'm looking for exactly.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That reminds me, I have a little Logitech BT box I use with iPhone. Now you are reminding me about how it does cut out periodically. I do like them a lot though. I would say uptime is about 98%. So those cut outs are minimal. I guess the same would be true with BT headphones?

Yeah, it's looking like a trip to Fry's is in order. My hearing is not perfect by a longshot by the way. My ears tend to get kinda plugged up when I have allergies (which hasn't been that bad since quitting smoking.... but still have it a little). So in other words, my ears probably wouldn't distinguish the difference between high quality audio and average audio. So maybe for me comfort and cost would be the things to focus more on.

CeeBee,... those Panasonics look ok and the price is right. But they do look a little bulky. You use them and they are comfortable?
    well, no matter what anyone gives for advice if your hearing is bad, especially in certain ranges the only way to truly find what will work would be to go test them. What might work for me may not work for you. I like a low mids and thumping bass and crisp highs. If your hearing loss is in the high range what I recommend may sound muddy to you.