Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the best headphones to get?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

What are the best headphones to get?

I'm confused. I wish I could have one of every type of headphone to try out. I know Beats are overhyped but I've been wanting a pair of Beats Solo 2 wireless headphones. So I went to the Apple store to try them out. They had the Solo2 wired ones. I assume the form factor must be the same. Anyway, I was immediately turned off. They are big, bulky, heavy, hard plasticky. Didn't feel comfortable at all. Also they adjust by having the plastic slide across a thin piece of metal. I guess if my head was shaved that wouldn't be a problem but my hair kept getting caught in it. So I just put it back and decided to try and find something else.

That leads me to now. There are so many kinds. And throw a rock at a review site and get a different set of responses. So I can't figure this out. Trying to decide how much to spend, what brand, wireless or not wireless, over the ear or on the ear, etc. etc.

So I just figured I'd post and see what you guys use.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't use them enough to spend serious money on them (I use them for mowing, the gym and watching movies on my tablet in bed at night). I like earbuds and use the Samsung ones that come with their phones. I like them enough that when I ruined a pair, I ordered 2 more pairs off ebay to replace them.

Got my daughter a pair of Beats Solo wired for Christmas, she loves them. Before that she use SkullCandy, I thought they had decent sound for the price.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Maybe I should just get the beats solo then. It just occurred to me that if I buy a pair, maybe I can return them if I end up not liking them. I like the apple earbuds and everything but I wanted something with a little more over the ear bass action.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You answered while I was typing so this is an edit

I have Sony over the ear noise cancelling headphones that are decent. They are cheaper ones but still decent.

I have some Sony in ear that use a soft silicone that fit like ear plugs. They sound fantastic for the price and they are comfy too.

I have built enough displays from Bose to Yurbuds to maybe point you in the right direction.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Maybe I should just get the beats solo then. It just occurred to me that if I buy a pair, maybe I can return them if I end up not liking them. I like the apple earbuds and everything but I wanted something with a little more over the ear bass action.
    I wouldn't. They break too easy. You are better off with a pair that does not compact. Hinge points on something that can be accidentally dropped or crushed are never a good idea. Plus you are paying way too much for a name. There is absolutely nothing special about those headphones. If your heart is set on Beats, go look at them and get a pair with a beefier build.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    with a little more over the ear bass action.
    One other comment on this. If you want bass response, you can get it from the in ear but it really matters what style in ear you get. There are some really nice in ear that are basically earplugs. They sound fantastic, but I would not go running with them because they eliminate all surrounding noises so you want hear traffic.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    ...but I wanted something with a little more over the ear bass action.
    That's the thing. To get that really good bass, you gotta have the big, heavy, over-the-ear noise cancelling thingies. I used to have a pair of headphones by Koss. They were dynamite.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've had a pair of Panasonic for 15 years. Paid $40 then, you can find similar or slightly better in the $50 range. We were using similar (branded Technics) in the radio.
    These should be comparable: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H.../dp/B004MMEI8W

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    SOL Republic have a bassier sound.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I wouldn't. They break too easy. You are better off with a pair that does not compact. Hinge points on something that can be accidentally dropped or crushed are never a good idea. Plus you are paying way too much for a name. There is absolutely nothing special about those headphones. If your heart is set on Beats, go look at them and get a pair with a beefier build.
    I honestly don't even care what brand I get. But just one thing,... what are your thoughts on bluetooth headphones? Like Beats Solo2 wireless or equivalent. Are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    One other comment on this. If you want bass response, you can get it from the in ear but it really matters what style in ear you get. There are some really nice in ear that are basically earplugs. They sound fantastic, but I would not go running with them because they eliminate all surrounding noises so you want hear traffic.
    I actually have a few pairs of the in-ear kind but I don't like how it feels with the thing in my ear. So I've been hoping to find something over the ear. As for running, I haven't been running/hiking for awhile. But if I do go again, that's another thing -- I hate the wire. I want wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    That's the thing. To get that really good bass, you gotta have the big, heavy, over-the-ear noise cancelling thingies. I used to have a pair of headphones by Koss. They were dynamite.
    Yeah,... that's what I want. Good, over the ear bass. Maybe I'll take a trip to Fry's and see if there's anything on display.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I've had a pair of Panasonic for 15 years. Paid $40 then, you can find similar or slightly better in the $50 range. We were using similar (branded Technics) in the radio.
    These should be comparable: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H.../dp/B004MMEI8W
    I saw something about those on a youtube review recently. Those do seem decent. I wonder how these companies come up with the prices though. I mean, why is one headphone set $40 but then another is $150 and yet another is $300. What's the difference? They all kinda seem the same to me.