Thread: This Woman Flew an F-35 Simulator with Her Mind

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

This Woman Flew an F-35 Simulator with Her Mind

Interesting story from defensetech.org. "Jan Scheuermann, a quadriplegic and pioneering patient for an experimental Pentagon robotics program, continues to break ground in freeing the mind from the body.
    The 55-year-old mother of two in 2012 agreed to let surgeons implant electrodes on her brain to control a robotic arm. More recently, she flew an F-35 Joint Strike Fighter simulator using nothing but her thoughts, an official said.
    Arati Prabhakar, director of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, cited the breakthrough last week at the first annual Future of War conference. The event was organized by the New America Foundation, a nonpartisan research group in Washington, D.C."

The research is taking place at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2015/03/02/th...#ixzz3TM3mcgxf
    Defense.org
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    but did she shoot the gun?
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    But did the plane take off???

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    But did the plane take off???
    Actually, she was able to fly the simulator. Not so sure about landing, however. Still, between the work with the robotic arm and the simulator, I think this is pretty interesting technology.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    but did she shoot the gun?
    Unlikely, since even the real aircraft can't, I don't think that capability would be available in the simulator. In other good news, the Small Bomb II can't fit in the internal weapon bay of the Marine F-35B variant. But, no worries, that is expected to be fixed by 2022. Anyway, the SDB II is still in development, and who needs a glide bomb with pinpoint guidance?
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If you have not watched "ghost in the shell" (the movie and the tv series), give it a whirl.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    If you have not watched "ghost in the shell" (the movie and the tv series), give it a whirl.
    Great anime when they don't get bogged down in the long winded expositions typical of "intellectual" anime. But I have to admit that the scene in (I think Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C.) where the Tachikomas debate the nature of consciousness is priceless.
    WIFFLEBALL!