Thread: Kindle Fire HDX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Kindle Fire HDX

I finally got a tablet while the site was down. I got a Kindle Fire HDX - the big one. I'm not addicted to tablets but it certainly comes in handy.

I already had a Prime account. I really like watching movies on it because there is a feature where it will show you all sorts of trivia in a sidebar.

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Kindle is an android flavour isn't it?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    No, an Amazon.com flavor.
    Older Kindle devices were running a different OS AFAIK. Kindle Fire family is android.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Awesome Pinnacle. Congrats! Hope that Kindle brings you hours of great entertainment.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I remember when the tablets first came out, and I thought "Who in the world would want an Ipod you cant put in your pocket", needless to say I'm addicted to my Asus Transformer now...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The kindles run android, but Amazon has added their own GUI.

Aidan has the original fire. My mom has the new HDX. I have been testing out a couple of windows 8.1 tablets (HP elitepad 9000 and surface 2) and I like them both well enough.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We got Blake the 7" Nook mainly because it was a little cheaper than the fire.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So far, I've resisted a tablet purchase for me or any family members. Between laptops, desktops, and smartphones the kids are pretty happy, though my wife is restless and my eventually get a tablet. Personally, I mostly view tablets as a way to consume more products, and I'm sorta maxed out there already. Could be worse, I have a client whose youngest son got into her Amazon account and racked up $800 in book purchases in a single month.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I have a client whose youngest son got into her Amazon account and racked up $800 in book purchases in a single month.
    the parental controls are built in and really easy to setup. Not to sound like a dick, but it's her own fault.

Dylan had Aidan's kindle upstairs and I got an email that I had just ordered an entire season of spongebob digitally. I immediately contacted amazon had it cancelled and turned on the parental controls. You have to be not paying attention AT. ALL. to have $800 worth of stuff purchased on it without your knowledge

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    the parental controls are built in and really easy to setup. Not to sound like a dick, but it's her own fault.

Dylan had Aidan's kindle upstairs and I got an email that I had just ordered an entire season of spongebob digitally. I immediately contacted amazon had it cancelled and turned on the parental controls. You have to be not paying attention AT. ALL. to have $800 worth of stuff purchased on it without your knowledge
    I got a good laugh out of this; though not in the customer's office. Anyway, she didn't have to pay for the unauthorized purchases, so it wasn't to grim. Except that the boy has been chained up in the basement for some time now relieving himself in a bucket and living on ramen.

Personally, I don't like parental controls, because I think they discourage kids from taking responsibility for their actions. Needless to say, this has bitten me in the butt a time or two, but overall I like the results. Both my kids have their own Amazon accounts, and they can spend what they can afford. If they want to watch any of the free Prime video on my account, or stuff I've purchased they have TV's and Roku boxes. Without a PIN, you can't buy from a Roku box.