Thread: Panda antivirus mistakenly flags itself as malware, bricks PCs

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Panda antivirus mistakenly flags itself as malware, bricks PCs

I missed this when it happened Wednesday, but it's still worth sharing: http://www.zdnet.com/article/panda-a...re-breaks-pcs/

It's a fun read. Panda says that the flaw in the definition update effected "only a small part" of its user base, but declined to give any numbers. Panda also claimed that by Friday they had fixed "90 percent of incidents", but once again failed to disclose numbers.

Amusing, but still not as funny as the 2010 incident in which a McAfee update trashed large numbers of XP computer. I always thought the icing on the cake here was that Intel had recently acquired McAfee, and they were one of the companies hardest hit by the glitch.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Our company just sent this out this past week as an FYI:

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch...ng-fake-chips/

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    MS is having fairly frequent problems with updates these days. The latest is a problem with KB3033929 which sometimes puts Windows 7 users into an endless reboot loop. http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/03/m...g-reboot-loop/
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Win7 and Avast are not playing nice right now.

The built in firewall in Avast is playing havoc with the windows firewall and some of the dependents of the services.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Win7 and Avast are not playing nice right now.

The built in firewall in Avast is playing havoc with the windows firewall and some of the dependents of the services.
    If I'm going with free AV, I like Avira. I'm not a fan of third party firewalls overall, regardless of the vendor. All the same, I think it is harder and harder for any AV software to keep up with current threats, and so stuff happens. Though some AV software definitely fails more often than others.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I had an issue where McAfee AV had a definition that caused PCs to not boot and sit at a black screen. This was back when it was not a nightmare and Crazy McAfee still ran the company.

But this one is for the records. I never liked panda. It f***ed up a bunch of PCs when we tried it out in the past.