Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which anti-virus do you use?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Mac's never even crossed my mind in this thread because none of the clients I do side work with, use them.

I think my BIL is the only one in the family that uses one.

If I did have a client that used one I would still recommend preventive measures because even the most diligent computer user has friends that use email and are not.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    If I'm only visiting well known, trusted sites daily, then I'm probably ok.
    Or not. Many attacks originate from trusted websites that serve ads. Ads come from different places, with no control from the operator of the trusted website.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    As for rating software programs -- NOD32 is fine. They all do the same job. They run their heuristics and do their best to detect stuff. But the bad guys know that and write their code to get around that. It's naive to think that there is some order of magnitude or ranking of security software quality. It's like having a basket of fruit. Each fruit has it's one characteristics but they are all basically fruit. One month NOD32 might be the good one, next month Kaspersky, another month might be Norton that is the good one. Technology changes so fast there are no black and white rules to any of this.
    What you say is partially true on a short term basis, but in the long run you can see serious qualitative differences in antimalware products. Unfortunately, I see Eset slipping, but I'd still rank it in the top 5, while Norton and MSE are essentially useless.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm so glad I don't worry about antivirus anymore. For my personal home use,.. Macbook + a little common sense, and there's not much need for antivirus software.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...s-and-malware/

WRONG

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh you. Talk about Pavlov's dog. You guys probably think I'm a sheep with the Mac talk for the same reason I think you guys are sheep for the anti-Mac talk. Two different sides but all from the same coin.
    Not at all if you like the MAC then use it. But be under No illusions of it being safer than PC. It is really not.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Mac's never even crossed my mind in this thread because none of the clients I do side work with, use them.

I think my BIL is the only one in the family that uses one.

If I did have a client that used one I would still recommend preventive measures because even the most diligent computer user has friends that use email and are not.
    I guess the only reason I mentioned it is because since I bought mine last summer I've had such a great experience with it. I use it exactly as I did my Windows computer. Not one single problem. With the Dell Studio 15 laptop with Windows 7 Pro, it seemed like every single time I opened the lid and booted it there was some updates and reboots to do. Java one day, McAfee the next day, several rounds of Windows Updates another day. Just on and on and on. Granted I've put Windows 8.1 on it and a lot of that has gone away -- but not completely. And if a person is lucky enough to run an SSD, then even better. But if you are Windows 7 with a mechanical drive and maybe 2-3GB of ram and Core 2 Duo,... then forget about it. You'll spend at least 25% of your time dealing with maintenance issues and updates. On the Mac though,.... nothing. Open lid, start using. That's literally it. There have been updates of course but they are so minimal and non-invasive it doesn't even matter.

That said, I do agree with you. It's smart to recommend. Better to have than not have. Although AV and security software could slow down the machine a little (or a lot). So there is always give and take.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Or not. Many attacks originate from trusted websites that serve ads. Ads come from different places, with no control from the operator of the trusted website.
    Yup. I always run Adblock on all browsers on all machines (Windows or Mac or Linux). So any machine that I'm responsible for WILL have Adblock. But again, even that's not a guarantee. It just helps a little bit. The ads still get through.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Your source is outdated.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Not at all if you like the MAC then use it. But be under No illusions of it being safer than PC. It is really not.
    It kinda is actually. That's been my experience so far anyway.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's getting late right now but I will give Avira a try tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks everyone.