Thread: Masterpieces of Understatement

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Masterpieces of Understatement

I think the title of the thread is pretty much self explanatory. I mean, it's like when you go to your doctor for a vasectomy, and he explains that he's out of tranquilizers and local anesthetic, so you will perhaps feel "some discomfort" during the procedure. So then he has to pull your testicles out of your inguinal canal with forceps, and continues to keep them clamped while he slices open your scrotum, cuts your vas defrens, ties the ends in knots and then cauterizes the ends. He then puts in a couple of stitches per testicle to close the incision. Right. "Some discomfort".

Having set the general tone, here is my first entry:

GoDaddy IPO to value company at $2.87 billion, but profit concerns emerge.

Here's the deal, GoDaddy, the world's largest domain registrar is about to go public. But in reality, the situation isn't so rosy. "Yet even with its position as the world's largest domain registrar, GoDaddy's financial situation is less promising. The company lost $143 million last year. Granted that's less than the $200 million it lost in 2013, and the $279 million lost in 2012 -- but GoDaddy admits it hasn't turned a profit since 2009, and that could be troubling for investors." Ya think?
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Tax avoidance. Starbux in the UK claims to have made no profit for years.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Tax avoidance. Starbux in the UK claims to have made no profit for years.
    Right. So GoDaddy is going to tell prospective investors, right before their IPO, "Yeah, we've posted losses, but that's just to avoid taxes! No worries." Let's imagine how that would work with the SEC.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!