Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are there so many massive potholes this season??

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Why are there so many massive potholes this season??

Don't know about your state/area, but in PA near Philly (like a radius of 150 mils out) there are MASSIVE potholes everywhere. I'm talking about foot or two feet wide and 6" to 2' deep.

I have seen two places where the macadam around a manhole has entirely been ripped away and it has started to fall into the sewer before a repair crew showed up. I destroyed a rim and tire on xmas. I saw/heard a car hit one of the nasty ones and could hear the tire pop on one guys car. I routinely have to drive like a complete idiot, dodging massive numbers of huge deep potholes densely packed like driving through a minefield while everyone behind/in front of me doing the same.

Anyway, there have always been potholes in the winter, this is nothing new. The thing is, I have never seen anything like what I'm seeing this winter. Literally, with zero exaggeration, 20 times the number of potholes than normal, and very often on roads that were just totally resurfaced less than 10 years ago. Also, they go from say 2" x 2" to 1' x 1' in maybe a week. The breakdown is so so fast.

I can't find much on line, and honestly it's seemed like most people are unaware that it's worse than ever before. But the question remains, Why? Why is this happening this winter?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Maybe the water froze under the road and made potholes.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    BTW, in PA you can get reimbursed for the damage if you jump through some hoops and wait half a year.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/risk...amage_Form.pdf

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Joopster View Post
    Maybe the water froze under the road and made potholes.
    Well, yeah that's how they form, but why so many this year compared to others, esp on roads that were just redone i the last 10 years? Honestly it's absolutely insane.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    large temp yoyo's are one cause and/or colder than normal cold snaps where the road heaves and weight restrictions are not put in place.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    More snowfall this year than we've seen in a long time, more salt being dumped on the roads, combined with constant changes above freezing and below equals more potholes. Roads are probably being built cheaper than ever before too.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Got way more than usual here in central PA as well. It was a harder winter than we've had for a while so I'm not really surprised though.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What lar says sounds about right. That said we've had like a quarter of the snow we normally get, its been an easy year.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    What lar says sounds about right. That said we've had like a quarter of the snow we normally get, its been an easy year.
    You are obviously confused. There is no such thing as global warming. Or climate change.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    A quarter? I feel like we've had more snow this year than we have in some time......
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison