Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Annoyances, Bugs and things that need doing to the forum

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Sorry guys. Since my promotion last September, I don't seem to have the "down time" that I used to during the work day and evenings are just as bad most times. I did get the registration questions changed out (per Gaz's request) but honestly today is the first day I've even took notice of this thread.

If Noo is cool with giving admin to somebody else who has time to work on these issues that would probably be the best bet. Has anybody had any contact with her lately? I haven't seen her on here in ages......
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Sorry guys. Since my promotion last September, I don't seem to have the "down time" that I used to during the work day and evenings are just as bad most times. I did get the registration questions changed out (per Gaz's request) but honestly today is the first day I've even took notice of this thread.

If Noo is cool with giving admin to somebody else who has time to work on these issues that would probably be the best bet. Has anybody had any contact with her lately? I haven't seen her on here in ages......
    Yeah, i don't think she goes on here much. The only times she's been here are when we reach out to her on Facebook.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We don't just need admin of the boards, also the backend hosting for web and db for stuff like the php error on every page load and posts getting lost/cut/mangled. Techz used to host for us did he not? Haven't seen around him in an age!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    We don't just need admin of the boards, also the backend hosting for web and db for stuff like the php error on every page load and posts getting lost/cut/mangled. Techz used to host for us did he not? Haven't seen around him in an age!
    Correct, and I don't have access to any of that. As far as I know TechZ still hosts so I'd assume him and Noo (and maybe still Scott?) would be the only ones with that access.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    I swear, since 3Finger got admin responsibility, this place has gone to hell. I say we string him up. Slacker. Hey Noo Noo, do you realize the persons you put in charge are not able to do their jobs? Maybe sell it to us as a group? Or an individual? I'll buy it and give Gazzak power to make changes. Pay you a small fee for your time.

How about it Noo?
    Thanks but no thanks. If I was to admin a site it would only be my own one.

Good to hear from you 3FS.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    On the other site I go to, the webmaster is from a non technical background yet he does a great job maintaining the board. Virtually all of us (or all of us?) have a technical background yet this board limps along on life support because none of us have full rights to it. Oh well, someday when this site explodes, I'll be on Rusty Bunch if you need anything (site for people who collect anything related to the brewing industry).

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    How much does it cost to run one of these? Maybe I should look into starting my own site. But then again, I haven't had a lot of time lately. I come on here, say my 2 cents and then I got work and school work to get done which takes most of every day.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    How much does it cost to run one of these? Maybe I should look into starting my own site. But then again, I haven't had a lot of time lately. I come on here, say my 2 cents and then I got work and school work to get done which takes most of every day.
    Depends how busy the site is and hosting options to keep up with the visitors. On my old site I started with a free forum on a cheap plan, but soon upgraded to VBulletin. By the time I gave it up it was one step away from a dedicated server at $100 per month. Ads pay well enough and cover costs, but the busier the site gets the more admin work needs doing and it does take up a lot of time. When a major software upgrade comes out then that's a weekend written off.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You can run a decent site on Azure, if you have a MSDN subscription you can get free shared machines (as in a whole virtual server not just FTP/SSH access). The load is practically 0 for such a forum.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Depends how busy the site is and hosting options to keep up with the visitors. On my old site I started with a free forum on a cheap plan, but soon upgraded to VBulletin. By the time I gave it up it was one step away from a dedicated server at $100 per month. Ads pay well enough and cover costs, but the busier the site gets the more admin work needs doing and it does take up a lot of time. When a major software upgrade comes out then that's a weekend written off.
    Yeah. This is why I wanted to do that Facebook group we did started awhile back. It seemed like a good equivalent and takes all the administration work out of the equation. But it was a total fail. Nobody seemed interested. I guess everyone likes to go by their screennames or something.