Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use any 800 series Cisco wireless routers?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Do you use any 800 series Cisco wireless routers?

I am responsible for a program in which we train people to pass the CompTIA A+ certification. During the training, the instructor uses a SOHO level wireless router to explain some different concepts. What he is doing is being projected onto a screen but the students in the back of the room still have trouble seeing what he is doing. Our solution to this would be to let everyone in the room log into the management console of the router at the same time. Unfortunately, this did not work. When the second person tries to log into the management console, they bump off the first person.

I was told by Linksys that all of their SOHO wireless routers would allow multiple people to be in the console at once. I was very specific about what we are doing so there would be no misunderstanding. I went to Best Buy and bought one of their Linksys SOHO wireless routers (I don't recall the model). It did not work. When the second person tried to get into the console, they bumped off the person.

Rather than wasting more time with SOHO level wireless routers, I thought I would check out enterprise level. I'm hoping I can get something slightly used since I am on a non-profit budget. I'm looking at the 800 series by Cisco right now.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...ers/index.html

Given that they are enterprise level, it certainly seems likely that multiple people could log into the management console at the same time but who knows? Is anyone using something from this series? Can multiple people log into the management console at one time?

Thanks for you help.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    usb to vga or hdmi. clone desktop and run it to another projector or tv in back of room

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You know what you might want to try is download Packet Tracer. There might be a small learning curve though. But basically you install it and it provides an environment to build networks in. You can build networks, login to router consoles, etc. You don't need any hardware.

Check it out: https://www.netacad.com/web/about-us...-packet-tracer

Way easier than fiddling with routers. This is what we did during Cisco training. And being that you are part of an educational establishment you should have no problem downloading it.

Actually, scratch that. I took my Packet Tracer folder from my Cisco archives and zipped it. So download this thing (it includes PDF's, powerpoints, software, etc): http://bit.ly/1bUdTu0

I shortened the link because I don't want this searchable on Google. I'll edit this post and take it down once it's not needed anymore (not sure if I'm even allowed to be sharing this). Anyway, that should be everything you need. You might need to research the licensing though. I'm not sure if you need to be enrolled in something with Cisco to officially be allowed to use that inside a classroom. But at least you can try it and see if it serves your needs.
    Last edited by Webhead; 04-03-2015 at 05:28 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    usb to vga or hdmi. clone desktop and run it to another projector or tv in back of room
    I considered some similar options. We don't have an extra projector or TV so that would mean buying more equipment.

I also considered using software to clone his screen to everyone else. This sounds simple enough on the surface but our training suite is located in our partner's building. We use all of their equipment. A software solution would mean getting them to approve the software, then come in unfreeze, install, and freeze all of the classroom computers. Past experience has shown this to be a lengthy solution.

Thanks for your input.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Webhead, thanks for the information. I (or the instructors) will look into this.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Sounds good!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yes, multiple people can telnet or whatever into the unit and work on it but any changes made by one effects everyone. You can set limits to how many people can log in, or you might have to tell it to allow X and you might get some slowness as people pile in. By management console, you don't mean the CD's they come with do you? If that, I have no idea, I throw those in the garbage and head for command line, or did. It's been so long since I programmed one I can't remember WTF to do now... Damn...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh, well, this is 2 weeks old. I need to get on here more often. I have an old 851w with no config that will only accept command line input via a console cable (until you IP it and set up PWDs for telnet) if you need to borrow it for a little while. I might even have the power cord!! And a console cable but you'd need something with a com port on it, or a USB to com port thingamajig. I'm guessing you don't want this but whatever, it's there.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah,... ILTU, you can do all that with Packet Tracer and don't even need console cables or anything.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Yes, multiple people can telnet or whatever into the unit and work on it but any changes made by one effects everyone. You can set limits to how many people can log in, or you might have to tell it to allow X and you might get some slowness as people pile in. By management console, you don't mean the CD's they come with do you? If that, I have no idea, I throw those in the garbage and head for command line, or did. It's been so long since I programmed one I can't remember WTF to do now... Damn...
    Thanks. This is just what I needed to know. I have been thinking about getting a used 881 but wanted to call Cisco first and ask them.

No, I did not mean the CDs. I meant the "setup" or whatever you call it that is built into the router. I always called it the management console but maybe that is a term that UPS made up and then taught me. Thanks!