Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try Windows 10 yet?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Anyone try Windows 10 yet?

Anyone try Windows 10 yet?

I'm grabbing an early release copy now (no idea if legit, honestly don't care) and I'm gonna drop it on a laptop that was supposed to be returned last week. I am presently working as a field tech of sorts for this company and I have to take the old PC's to UPS to ship them and so far, I've had a few in my trunk for like 2 months and no one has said boo, so I think I'm going to have a few test bed laptops for a short time.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've had it running as a VM on my desktop computer for awhile now. I hardly ever use it though. But it's pretty good. The most recent iteration of it has Cortana built in. But if you don't trust your own source disk you can easily download it directly from MS.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm running it on an old laptop. It just recently upgraded itself. It was supposed to add a lot of updates and the new internet browser. However, it fails to load, and closes itself when trying to use it.
    You have to set the updates to fast if you want to be an early adopter of the new browser.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Installed fast, looks OK, not blown away by the "OMFG WHY DON'T YOU LIKE OUR SHITTY APP TILES THING OMFG WE REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT YOU TO USE THIS CRAP YOU HATE!!!!" start button. Honestly, I thought that the apps thing would be great as an addition to the start button, or something like it. That said, it's not better than the windows 8 app tiles which suck major butt, don't organize worth a s**t, aren't super easy to manage still (I mean, WTF was wrong with folders MS??). It's nice and fast, doesn't seem to be a RAM hog, which is a treat. Literally every single user I know that bought a windows 8 PC has nothing but loathing for the stupid app tiles. They just don't get it and honestly, there's like 10 other options that people would have liked better for a new and enhanced windows start feature.

Also seems MS is sticking fast with the whole PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SIGN UP FOR AN MS ACCOUNT YOU DON"T WANT OR NEED!!! Ugh, click through, set up local friggin account.

So anyway, it's Windows 8.3. Whoop dee doo. Why even upgrade? Not going to use spartan until it has extensions written for it like adblock plus and noscript.

Spartan looks like a browser. Another drop in the sea at this point. I honestly don't see how it's in any way different from anything else.

Anyway, it's great for free though!!
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 04-15-2015 at 02:18 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Installed fast, looks OK, not blown away by the "OMFG WHY DON'T YOU LIKE OUR SHITTY APP TILES THING OMFG WE REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT YOU TO USE THIS CRAP YOU HATE!!!!" start button. Honestly, I thought that the apps thing would be great as an addition to the start button, or something like it. That said, it's not better than the windows 8 app tiles which suck major butt, don't organize worth a s**t, aren't super easy to manage still (I mean, WTF was wrong with folders MS??). It's nice and fast, doesn't seem to be a RAM hog, which is a treat. Literally every single user I know that bought a windows 8 PC has nothing but loathing for the stupid app tiles. They just don't get it and honestly, there's like 10 other options that people would have liked better for a new and enhanced windows start feature.

Also seems MS is sticking fast with the whole PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SIGN UP FOR AN MS ACCOUNT YOU DON"T WANT OR NEED!!! Ugh, click through, set up local friggin account.

So anyway, it's Windows 8.3. Whoop dee doo. Why even upgrade? Not going to use spartan until it has extensions written for it like adblock plus and noscript.

Spartan looks like a browser. Another drop in the sea at this point. I honestly don't see how it's in any way different from anything else.

Anyway, it's great for free though!!
    MS will be moving their OS to a subscription eventually. You will no longer need to buy it, but you will pay a fee like they do with Office365

Free, is for a year. Then they will be charging for it. You don't even have to have a legit copy to upgrade. They are trying to reign in pirates.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    MS will be moving their OS to a subscription eventually. You will no longer need to buy it, but you will pay a fee like they do with Office365

Free, is for a year. Then they will be charging for it. You don't even have to have a legit copy to upgrade. They are trying to reign in pirates.
    That's what I had read/heard, though its more about bringing China into the fold of paying for an OS. Apparently 90% of their OSes are pirated.

That said I hate the subscription crap. Makes me want to pay for it less. Honestly, I don't know who's running MS anymore but they are no bill gates. They used to steal stuff that was good and jam it into their OS and stay ahead of everyone that way, but now they try to play catch up with Apple gadget of the day and they try to innovate in house which has more frequently lead to bad ideas they shove down peoples throats. I just don't get it and I fear for that company simetimes though I'm sure I shouldn't.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Not sure how I feel yet. After throwing out or upgrading a ton of computers because of XP hitting end of life, it would be nice to not have to worry about that.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Let me be clear up front: I think Windows 10 is great so far.

That said,... I think it's so funny that they put out those dumb tiles and then everyone hated the tiles. So what do they do? They say they will put the start menu back. Then Windows 10 comes out with this new start menu. And what is the new start menu exactly? It's just a smaller, resizable version of the tiled screen. That's funny to me. They basically just shrunk down the tiled screen and said, "Here. Don't like our tiled menu? Fine. You want your stinking start menu back? Here's your stinking start menu!" I picture the developers behind the scenes being offend at people for not liking their tiled menu. LOL.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Not sure how I feel yet. After throwing out or upgrading a ton of computers because of XP hitting end of life, it would be nice to not have to worry about that.
    From what I heard, upgrading from 8.1 to 10 should be a simple as a Windows Update. I'm not expecting that to be true but I did hear this. So might not be that bad.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    From what I heard, upgrading from 8.1 to 10 should be a simple as a Windows Update. I'm not expecting that to be true but I did hear this. So might not be that bad.
    I think it goes back to 7? I would have to look again. I know XP was not part of it.

I have NO plans to upgrade to it on any of my computers unless I need it for tech work that I do on the side.