Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Elder Child Joined the Navy

This past Monday, Elder Child enlisted in the Navy. Originally, she had intended to enlist right out of High School, but decided to go for a quick degree and a job. However, she's found college to be frustrating and too slow paced.

In High School, she took the ASVAB and scored very well. Her math scores in the ACT were in the 98th percentile. Since then she has two semesters of Visual Basic and C++ under her belt as well as some some experience doing hardware service for laptops and desktops. She killed the ASVAB practice tests after enlistment, and is going to San Antonio this Sunday and Monday to do the real thing.

So, it looks likely that she'll be on track for an IT career in the Navy, and she hopes to be posted to Pensacola after Basic Training. I couldn't be more proud of her.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 04-16-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Super! I spent 6 years active duty in the Nav.

Like I've said many times...
    Joining the Navy was probably the best thing I've ever done. And getting OUT of the Navy is probably the second best thing I've ever done.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Super! I spent 6 years active duty in the Nav.

Like I've said many times...
    Joining the Navy was probably the best thing I've ever done. And getting OUT of the Navy is probably the second best thing I've ever done.
    I hear you. Elder Child is a little spacey sometimes, but if you give her a goal she can focus on, she is Hell on wheels for getting the job done. When it comes down to tech jobs, I think the Air Force and Army currently suck hind tit to the Navy. Anyway, I'm happy with her choice of services. I think she's a little money hungry to be a lifer, but it's all subject to change without notice.

Back in the early '70s, when I owned my first business, my partner and two of the guys that worked for us had done a couple of WestPac cruises on the Oriskany. They weren't screwed up; unlike most of the Army guys I knew, though SEALs were in a class unto themselves. Anyway, I think an enlistment in the Navy will help Elder Child get her shit together.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That is what the boy wanted to do but was denied entry. Awesome for elder.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Tell her to get into networking and security, it transitions to the real world I believe. And, security people are always in demand.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Tell her to get into networking and security, it transitions to the real world I believe. And, security people are always in demand.
    I kept pressing her in that direction, and her original plan for an Associate Degree was to specialize in cybersecurity. But, things change. With her enlistment, I feel she's really taken charge of her life and I can't wait to see what she does with it.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Congrats to you and her. I am happy for you both.....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Congratulations!

A year ago, I went to a special open house at a local Coast Guard base. I only know what I learned that day but I did find it interesting. If one of my daughters opted for a career in the military, I would want them to at least investigate the Coast Guard.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    As it turns out, there was a glitch with EC's medical history due to her having had an ovarian cyst 6 years ago. But there hasn't been a recurrence, and taking the pill has kept the situation under control. Nevertheless, the Navy wants her medical records, but that looks like a formality. I think she is good to go. She got her test results from the ASVAB, and she had the highest score recorded in the San Antonio District in the past year. The Navy thinks she is OK for any career path up to Nuclear Engineer. Just so damn proud of her.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Congratulations!

A year ago, I went to a special open house at a local Coast Guard base. I only know what I learned that day but I did find it interesting. If one of my daughters opted for a career in the military, I would want them to at least investigate the Coast Guard.
    I know the Cost Guard serve with honor, and play an important role in search and rescue and interdicting illegal traffic. I know they sometimes lose their lives in the service of their country. All the same, if the U.S. were to get involved in a major conflict, the Navy would be the cutting edge of the sword, the tip of the spear. That's where my daughter wants to be.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 04-22-2015 at 10:57 PM.
    WIFFLEBALL!