Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well, now you have :-)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wright on sister! Just please tell me you aren't named Orville or Wilbur.

Or, have brothers with those names.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Ultimately, she ended up declining Nuclear Engineering, and will be doing programming and security. That's what she really wanted to do, and that was her final decision. I worry that it might hamper her career, but if that's what she wants, I support her 100%.
    Okay, I have to admit that I pushed her toward becoming a Nuclear Engineer just a bit as well. What can I say; I wanted to be able to tell people "Yeah, my daughter is in the Navy. She's a Nuclear Engineer." Then there's that $40 thousand signing bonus she would have gotten after successfully completing training and reporting to her first duty station. And the $80-$100 thou re-enlistment bonus. No matter how proud I am, "programming and security" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    A 100 thousand reenlistment for a 4 year? I've heard of 20 or so but 100 seems steep.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Joopster View Post
    A 100 thousand reenlistment for a 4 year? I've heard of 20 or so but 100 seems steep.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Wow, I'm actually agreeing Joop on something. Strange...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Wow, I'm actually agreeing Joop on something. Strange...
    I was told reenlistment bonus starts at 80 and goes up. Really, not surprising if you go to the Navy's site and look at the requirements for any of the nuke jobs. If she wanted to become a Naval Reactors Engineer, she would need to complete college, and then go through the Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program. Candidates in the program can earn over $100,000 in college benefits which may start up to 18 months before graduation. Great benefits, grueling training.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yes, in the officer's programs as an engineer, I might buy that. But as an enlisted puke, "Nuclear Trained Personnel (NUC), up to $90,000." Now, that's nothing to sneeze at, but this is for a fully qualified, experienced individual and you must sign up for an additional 6 years. That is not for a newbie signing up.

http://www.military.com/recruiting/b...stment-bonuses
    Last edited by JaxSon; 08-11-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Gawd, I hate trying to edit posts on this VB.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Yes, in the officer's programs as an engineer, I might buy that. But as an enlisted puke, "Nuclear Trained Personnel (NUC), up to $90,000." Now, that's nothing to sneeze at, but this is for a fully qualified, experienced individual and you must sign up for an additional 6 years. That is not for a newbie signing up.

http://www.military.com/recruiting/b...stment-bonuses
    We seem to be saying mostly the same things, but without much communication happening. Yes, there is quite a bit of money available to any nuke technicians, yes there is a huge spread in benefits. Yes getting the Big Enchilada requires a degree and you have to be an officer, but that's part of the NUPOC program. You can start NUPOC off the street, and at the end of the program, you're an officer; you don't need to be an officer to enter the program.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant as EC has no interest at all in doing ANY of the nuke specializations. She loves to code, and there are several specializations she can choose from.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Wright on sister! Just please tell me you aren't named Orville or Wilbur.

Or, have brothers with those names.
    LOL

No Orvilles or Wilburs, but I do have several brothers and sisters:
    Ted
    Janice
    Caroll
    Aline
    Karen
    Liz
    Rick (Actually, my mother named this one after Fredric March, his name is Fredric, but not a soul calls him that.)
    Jim
    Laurel
    Me
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Holy cow! your family could have it's own baseball team!
    WIFFLEBALL!