Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    EC graduated basic on Feb. 5th. We thought she would have liberty from noon Friday until Saturday night, but she had to be back on base by 7:30 PM, and she was on a plane to Pensacola at 1:00 AM. But it was still great to see her graduate and spend time with her. My sister-in-law flew up from Austin, met us in Dallas, and then we flew into Midway Airport in Chicago.

EC's division was a performance division, and that means every recruit in the division had experience in High School marching bands or some other musical experience, and they provided the drum line, carried the State flags in precision marching drills, etc. One of the most enjoyable parts of the ceremony, was the roll call of the states, where everyone got to clap hands, cheer, whistle, stomp feet, pound on the bleachers, and generally make as much noise as possible in support of their recruits and their State.

California was very well represented, as was Florida, but there were more Texans and we were louder. After our demonstration was over, a woman sitting almost behind me said, "Well, I suppose if you live in Texas there isn't much to do but join the service."

At which point my sister-in-law turned around and said, "Do you understand demographics? Texas is the second most populous state in the U.S. Of course we're well represented. Why is your family member joining the service? No opportunities back home?"

At this point I said, "Right now, Texas has about the world's 14th largest economy, and puts us just ahead of South Korea and Australia. I believe I heard you cheering for Georgia. Where are you on the scale? (that would be 23rd) Besides our traditional values of patriotism and service to our country, Texans like to kick ass." Since the woman never replied to either my sister-in-law's remarks or mine, I concluded the conversation was ended. Sitting next to Sis, was a retired Marine who was now a Chicago fireman; he was trying hard not to laugh, but not doing too well.

Anyhow, we took EC to a great Japanese restaurant where for $14 a head we got about twice as much absolutely delicious food as two people could eat. EC ate hers, ate the tempura shrimp from Wife's and Sis's plates, then consumed 6 California rolls. After the meal our waiter carried out a huge piece of chocolate cake with whipped cream on the side, and said, "We don't give military discounts, but this cake is complementary." And EC ate it all, only pausing from time to time to say, "This is SO good!"

Anyway, back at the hotel EC took a long, hot shower. 5 minute showers in basic, which were sometimes missed due to extra duties she was given. I'll get back to that.

As we were sitting around chatting about basic training, she remarked that while the Navy doesn't have particularly demanding physical training standards, her division commanders were over achievers. Her senior division commander was a marathoner who expected her recruits to be able to run a mile and a half in under 8 minutes, even though the PT standard was a mile and a half in 14 minutes. EC hated running with her. Her other division commanders had their own ideas about PT as well. In her eight weeks of basic, EC lost 2 inches in her waist, and gained 5 pounds of hard muscle.

Anyway, her senior division commander put her in charge of the other graduates going to Pensacola, she was responsible for keeping them together, getting them boarded with their gear checked, etc. She was told bluntly that her commanders saw leadership potential in her, and so she was going to be pushed hard. The last time I spoke to her, she had been up over 48 hours, needed to take a trip to Medical to be treated for bronchitis, and was loving every minute of it.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 02-10-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Ok, let me talk a bit about the state of the U.S. Navy. Some politicos have denigrated the state of the Navy. You've probably read all the bullshit about how the Navy has the lowest number of ships in a century, and other similar crap, we are so weak, piss and moan. Well, there are a couple of problems with this simplistic view. For the moment, let's ignore our submarine fleet.

If you want to look at major surface combatants displacing 70,000 tons and above, that would be destroyers, cruisers, and above. The U.S. Navy has a 2 to 1 advantage over all the world's navies combined. In fact, the U.S. surface fleet out numbers 13 of the worlds largest Navies combined, and 12 of those navies are U.S. allies. By some measurements, the U.S. Navy has a 20:1 firepower advantage over all the world's navies combined.

EC had participated in two graduation ceremonies previous to hers and they were classes of about 9,000. That seemed to be the norm for the last couple of years. EC's graduating class was just a bit over 14, 000. Which reflects the number of new hulls being built.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 02-10-2016 at 07:56 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    EC's graduating class comprised 14 divisions of around 1000 recruits each. Generally speaking, divisions aren't earmarked for specific career paths. So, EC was in a performance division, but she is still specializing in IT. The exception was that 2 divisions were actually tagged for Special Ops.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Now that she's out of basic, EC has her cell phone back, so we talk more. She has a birthday soon, and she wants a book about the history of the U.S. Navy (actually found two good ones) a book about the history of U.S. Naval uniforms, and a book about the United States Code of Military Justice. The first two books I understood, but I had to ask about the USCMJ. I said, "What the Hell?! A couple of days into your first duty station and you've already had your ass thrown in the brig?" She laughed and said, "No, I'm only curious. I just want to know more about the Navy." Can you say, likely lifer?
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Unless they've changed it, it's the UCMJ. It's for Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Gotta get those military acronyms right. There's gonna be a lot of them.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Unless they've changed it, it's the UCMJ. It's for Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Gotta get those military acronyms right. There's gonna be a lot of them.
    Yes, you are correct. It's still the Uniform Code of Military Justice. My bad. I still remain a sloppy civilian. In fact, in the seven hours we got to spend with her following the graduation ceremony, EC's vocabulary already contained so many acronyms that we had to keep asking her to translate.

Anyway, she still has a nasty cough, but she's getting some medication for it (but no antibiotics) and is currently going to classes that cover topics like how to report abuse, etc. I have to get her laptop checked out and prepped for shipping. Next week, she starts some busy work until she begins IT classes on March 7th.

I didn't want our kids to be shy,girly girls, and so when it came to their vocabulary, we didn't discourage the use of rude and crude language. So, both of them are potty mouths. But, one of EC's division commanders was apparently foul mouthed even by Navy standards, and so I now rate EC as spectacularly foul mouthed. She still has a lot to learn about being about being a sailor, but she has the vocabulary down pat.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    ... she has the vocabulary down pat.
    One step closer to being a sailor. :-)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yesterday, EC found she was being sent to San Diego, and this morning she found that she would be serving on board the USS Greenbay, a San Antonio class amphibious dock ship. The San Antonio class transports Marines, helicopters and Ospreys. They are massively armored, hardened against nuclear, chemical and biological attacks, and have first class air defenses. Probably also have the best crew accommodations of any ships in the fleet. The Greenbay was the fourth San Antonio class ship built, and was commissioned in 2009. The ship is extensively computer controlled and networked, so serving aboard the Greenbay is essentially a geek girl's dream. The ship's homeport is Nagasaki, and her first cruise will last 9 months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_An...transport_dock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Green_Bay_(LPD-20)

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/lp...x#.Vzi-QZErKUk
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That does sound exciting. And being homeported overseas in Japan is also exciting. That means even after a long 9 month deployment to the Indian and Western Pacific Oceans, she'll always go back to Japan. I did that myself on the USS Midway that was homeported in Yokosuka, Japan. But that also means that she will be away from CONUS for two years at least, maybe even three. She will get homesick but will survive. And so will you.

And being on a relatively new ship will be nice too. Kudos to her!

Plus, WesPac cruises are a lot more exciting than Med and/or NATO cruises. The ports are a lot better, IMHO. She'll get to go to Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, S. Korea. Any of those places is LOTS better than Naples, Italy or Rota, Spain. Believe me, I've experienced it myself. She will come back a world traveler and with a sailor's mouth. LOL!
    Last edited by JaxSon; 05-15-2016 at 07:22 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    That does sound exciting. And being homeported overseas in Japan is also exciting. That means even after a long 9 month deployment to the Indian and Western Pacific Oceans, she'll always go back to Japan. I did that myself on the USS Midway that was homeported in Yokosuka, Japan. But that also means that she will be away from CONUS for two years at least, maybe even three. She will get homesick but will survive. And so will you.

And being on a relatively new ship will be nice too. Kudos to her!

Plus, WesPac cruises are a lot more exciting than Med and/or NATO cruises. The ports are a lot better, IMHO. She'll get to go to Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, S. Korea. Any of those places is LOTS better than Naples, Italy or Rota, Spain. Believe me, I've experienced it myself. She will come back a world traveler and with a sailor's mouth. LOL!
    Yeah, all of my friends who served in the Navy did service in the Vietnam era and so they all did WesPac cruises on the Oriskany and Bainbridge. We never tried to shield our kids from "inappropriate" language, we just tried to teach them when it was inappropriate to use it. During basic, one of EC's division commanders was apparently spectacularly foul mouthed even by Navy standards, so EC already has that part of being a sailor covered in spades.

The first build of the San Antonio class had notable design deficiencies in terms of survivability in a hostile environment, but I understand that the problems have been corrected in current builds. When we lived in Northern Virginia, I had a bunch of friends in the Air Force stationed at the Pentagon, and even though they are all retired now, I can still call on them to give me a straight answer about what's up in the military; it just takes a day or two for things to work through the system.
    WIFFLEBALL!