Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    EC is still in San Diego, and still waiting on written orders. She's has verbal orders to report for service on the Greenbay, but all her friends have gotten paper work, so she's doing busywork and getting increasingly nutso. In her free time she hits the gym a lot. I want her to spend more time on the shooting range and qualify for a Sharpshooter rating, but so far she's ignoring me.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I want her to spend more time on the shooting range and qualify for a Sharpshooter rating, but so far she's ignoring me.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but how much need would there be for that rating in the Navy? I know SEALS use small arms but for the rest of the Navy, it seems like small arms just get dusty.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but how much need would there be for that rating in the Navy? I know SEALS use small arms but for the rest of the Navy, it seems like small arms just get dusty.
    Actually, you're right on the money. You might could qualify as a sharpshooter in boot camp, but that's it. Once you move on to your C school and earn an NEC (other services call it MOS) you never touch another firearm. ..unless that's your job. And specializing in network security and encryption doesn't qualify.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, she had to qualify with both pistol and shotgun in basic, and she earned a Marksman ribbon. I agree it's unlikely that she will ever have to repel boarders, I just think it would be cool if she earned the Sharpshooter device for her ribbon. Since she's bitching about being bored, some time on the range would give her a goal, and it's always relaxing to shoot some paper. As it is, she just hits the gym when she has nothing else to do. The kid has gained 12 pounds since she enlisted, and just earned a rating of excellent on her last PT evaluation, so I don't think she would suffer much if she missed a day or two in the weight room or on the track. The Navy doesn't ever make you re-qualify, but you can re-qualify anytime you want. I just kinda want to see her with that little silver S on her ribbon.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This is a little off topic but here goes anyway. If I wanted to verify a person is a SEAL, is this the decoration I would look for? Yes, I know a picture ID and dozens of pages of Navy paperwork would probably work better but it would be insulting for me to ask somebody to produce all of that. Thanks.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    This is a little off topic but here goes anyway. If I wanted to verify a person is a SEAL, is this the decoration I would look for? Yes, I know a picture ID and dozens of pages of Navy paperwork would probably work better but it would be insulting for me to ask somebody to produce all of that. Thanks.

That looks right, but is it genuine? I can't say. These days, anyone can buy some knockoff online. If it really matters, like this guy is dating one of your daughters or something, I'd make him spit up the paperwork. No worries, anyone who has served in Special Forces is way too professional to beat your ass.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This one is just a picture online I have not seen the real one yet. The only time I saw his uniform, he held it up while i was 20 feet away. There were a ton of decorations on it but what do I know? They may have been for perfect attendance during KP duty.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    There were a ton of decorations on it but what do I know?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgPD5M9AJs
    Last edited by JaxSon; 05-26-2016 at 12:25 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Good one. But if it really matters, get the paperwork. Though I might also suggest that if you question him about his service, and he gives you a "go to Hell stare" that makes you piss yourself, he is probably Special Ops. But still, if it really matters, get the paperwork. If he can document himself its good. Look, I've known guys who were Black Ops and NSA who could still provide documentation for civilian jobs.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 05-26-2016 at 06:41 AM.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What happened to EC? Still bored in San Diego or did they finally move her on?