Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    What happened to EC? Still bored in San Diego or did they finally move her on?
    Oh, God! Still mostly bored. But after Morse she is doing an advanced IT class in...Pensacola. At least she has a plan for her spare time; she wants to get a diver certification. I can supply a lot of what she needs, but not sure how much of my gear she can use. 'Bout the only thing I can't locate is my dive knife. Anyway, what she can't use, maybe she can sell.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Funny. Sitting around bored in San Diego while waiting to go to her ship in Japan. So what do they do? Send her to Pensacola. According to my map, she is getting further away from Japan.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Funny. Sitting around bored in San Diego while waiting to go to her ship in Japan. So what do they do? Send her to Pensacola. According to my map, she is getting further away from Japan.
    Nah, it's the Navy, they're giving her the "scenic route" to Japan!
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Nah, it's the Navy, they're giving her the "scenic route" to Japan!
    She get's a little frustrated, but as I keep reminding her, there's a reason for all her training.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well, she is currently in Hawaii, impressing her commanders, and has received a letter of candidacy to the U.S. Naval Academy.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Well, she is currently in Hawaii, impressing her commanders, and has received a letter of candidacy to the U.S. Naval Academy.
    Cool! Now what? Does this mean they definitely want her or they want to consider her further?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Cool! Now what? Does this mean they definitely want her or they want to consider her further?
    She will have to do some more testing and some ass kissing, but her base commander has arranged an interview for her with the Chief of Naval Operations. I take that as a pretty good sign. At the moment, she's having some minor bureaucratic bullshit with the NSA, but her superior officers assure her it's nothing important and they will get it fixed.

So, yeah I think her commanders really want to see her as an officer. She'll have to work hard to live up to expectations, but she can do about anything she wants enough. If she wants it, I've never seen her fail. Her programming experience really counts, and she is currently being pushed into crash courses in older operating systems because the Navy runs some truly antiquated shit.

When I talked to her last, she was going somewhat apeshit because she was not only having to learn Windows Server 2007, but also Windows 2000, and wait for it... drum roll please... Windows 95.

Still, don't despair. The Navy is increasingly moving to Linux. Yet another crash course BTW.

So, she needs some rubber stamp letters from her officers, which is already a done deal, and a letter of recommendation from our House Representative which I think is also a rubber stamp, but it doesn't hurt that our Congressman is Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    ... she's having some minor bureaucratic bullshit with the NSA,....
    ooooops, sounds like they found out about you!

hahaha

just kidding :-)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    ooooops, sounds like they found out about you!

hahaha

just kidding :-)
    No, it's just some weirdness with some bit of paperwork somewhere. I'll have you know that I have never been so much as charged with a felony. I don't think anyone cares about my Vietnam era protests. My generally sleazy character, maybe.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Currently, she has all the paperwork on hand to apply for admission to the Naval Academy, as well as the forms she needs to request a recommendation from our Congressman. Still, I'm guessing how well the interview with the CNO turns out is going to carry the most weight. Don't yet know the time frame there. In the meantime, she's working her butt off with her new round of school.
    WIFFLEBALL!