Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 125

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

  1. #21
    Senior Member slgrieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,637
    vCash
    800
    Points
    356,797
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    356,797
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Joopster View Post
    This right here is why you are a douchebag.
    I'd say that any of your thoughts are about as significant as mouse farts on a windy day.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

  2. #22
    Senior Member slgrieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,637
    vCash
    800
    Points
    356,797
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    356,797
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Joopster View Post
    I respect all services. You had a bad experience because you couldn't follow the rules.
    When I worked on tow boats, no I didn't follow the rules. The Coasties were a PITA because they didn't really care about us following the rules; they just wanted to be able to fill out the appropriate paperwork at the end of the day saying they had done "DUE DILIGENCE". I didn't even have to bribe them; if I just played the game long enough they would leave. I didn't send them to the Tonga Club in Beaumont to get blowjobs at my expense, or the Lion's Den in Port Arthur.

    Still, for what it's worth, I hold them in higher esteem than the DEA.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    All around you
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Points
    211,436
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    211,436
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    This past Monday, Elder Child enlisted in the Navy. .... I couldn't be more proud of her.
    Congratulations! I love hearing stories of people's children, growing up, moving on with their lives, etc. It gives me hope that my own children will grow up and move on with their lives. And maybe even find a place of their own!

    I don't think I told you all about my son. He went to Cal State U Monterey Bay and managed to flunk out, lost his financial aid, got fired from his job at Chipotle, knocked up his girlfriend and had to move back home. Well, I guess he didn't HAVE to move back home. I just couldn't picture him living in his car in Monterey. (That would be my car that he is paying me for.) My daughter didn't pass any of her classes at the local community college. She did get a job over Christmas. They are both at home, he's working at Starbucks, but could be working at Genentech,. He's got 2 AS degrees and an AA, which is fine with Genentech. She says she is applying for jobs, and she may even go back to school.

    If I didn't have such a low opinion of the military I might advise either of them to join. But I spent 20 years, my husband spent 20 years, his father spent 30 years in service so I think my family is done with that. Plus, I don't trust the military with my daughter.

  4. #24
    Senior Member JaxSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    813
    vCash
    966
    Points
    203,589
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    203,589
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    If I didn't have such a low opinion of the military I might advise either of them to join. But I spent 20 years, my husband spent 20 years, his father spent 30 years in service so I think my family is done with that. Plus, I don't trust the military with my daughter.
    First off, thanks for your service. I take it you had some personal experiences that make you say that about your daughter. I only spent 6 years in the Nav and I know there was sexual harassment going on. Hell, I even took part in it. Not realizing that commenting on your hard nipples in the cold air conditioning might somehow be offensive to you. I know now that is in fact sexual harassment and low class on top of that.

    But females can now go on warships! They didn't use to do that in MY day! (gawd, I sound old)

    Aarrgghh, it was a MAN's ship! With real MEN! Doing MANly things! With other MEN!
    President Trump, build that wall!

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    All around you
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Points
    211,436
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    211,436
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    ... Not realizing that commenting on your hard nipples in the cold air conditioning might somehow be offensive to you. I know now that is in fact sexual harassment and low class on top of that....
    Well, if you ask me, that's not even the bad part. The bad part is (for me anyway) you go into a field and the men around you assume you're there to find a man, not to work. You go to work and the men assume you don't know how to do your job (I was an aircraft mechanic, I took auto shop in high school, I knew I was going to get dirty and greasy, I was a better mechanic than most of my peers.) And then there is that whole issue of assignments, the "good ole boys got the plum assignments (TDYs) I got nothing.

    Yeah, making comments like those are bad. But holding a person back (from assignments, awards, recognition, etc.) because of their gender is a real issue.

  6. #26
    Senior Member slgrieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,637
    vCash
    800
    Points
    356,797
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    356,797
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Well, if you ask me, that's not even the bad part. The bad part is (for me anyway) you go into a field and the men around you assume you're there to find a man, not to work. You go to work and the men assume you don't know how to do your job (I was an aircraft mechanic, I took auto shop in high school, I knew I was going to get dirty and greasy, I was a better mechanic than most of my peers.) And then there is that whole issue of assignments, the "good ole boys got the plum assignments (TDYs) I got nothing.

    Yeah, making comments like those are bad. But holding a person back (from assignments, awards, recognition, etc.) because of their gender is a real issue.
    Nice to hear from you! Pleasant alternative to some of our recent testosterone fueled discussions. The issues you mention certainly do concern me; I'd be lying if I said otherwise. But, she's made her decision, and my job is to support her in every way I can. Still, I wouldn't have been too upset if she stayed with college and a civilian IT career. The only thing I can say is that this whole set of issues has become a lot higher profile of late, and I think is likely to remain that way, no matter what the admirals and generals might wish.

    Since we had women fighting alongside Special Forces in Afghanistan (even if they were just supposed to be liaisons to local women), I hope that will put much more focus on the barriers women face in the Armed Services and their treatment.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    162
    vCash
    500
    Points
    126,314
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    126,314
    Donate
    I don't think that's a military thing, I think that goes on at a lot of places still. Heck, the entire management staff at our company is white men, and that's about 40 plus people. Not a single female or minority in the entire bunch. This country has come a long way in the last 30-40 years, but still has a really long way to go.

  8. #28
    Senior Member slgrieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,637
    vCash
    800
    Points
    356,797
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    356,797
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by imarolan12 View Post
    I don't think that's a military thing, I think that goes on at a lot of places still. Heck, the entire management staff at our company is white men, and that's about 40 plus people. Not a single female or minority in the entire bunch. This country has come a long way in the last 30-40 years, but still has a really long way to go.
    Unfortunately, sexual assaults in the military are very frequent, and the command structure mostly tends to cover them up. That still remains a serious issue.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    All around you
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Points
    211,436
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    211,436
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Unfortunately, sexual assaults in the military are very frequent, and the command structure mostly tends to cover them up. That still remains a serious issue.
    Of course if they are the ones perpetrating the assault, they are sure to cover it up. I think a big reason they tend to cover it up (even if they are not the perpetrator) is they still have some unexplored belief that she wanted it.

    Other nonsensical reasons they cling to:
    HE is more important to the organization than SHE is.
    It will be difficult to prove. (Hello! DNA anyone?)
    It's a hassle and will create morale problems in the unit. (Hello! There are ALREADY morale problems if someone is being assaulted!)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

    I am Green-Eyed.

  10. #30
    Senior Member slgrieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,637
    vCash
    800
    Points
    356,797
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    356,797
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Of course if they are the ones perpetrating the assault, they are sure to cover it up. I think a big reason they tend to cover it up (even if they are not the perpetrator) is they still have some unexplored belief that she wanted it.

    Other nonsensical reasons they cling to:
    HE is more important to the organization than SHE is.
    It will be difficult to prove. (Hello! DNA anyone?)
    It's a hassle and will create morale problems in the unit. (Hello! There are ALREADY morale problems if someone is being assaulted!)
    I get all that, but EC's enlistment has been approved, she has signed on the dotted line and is ready to go, but she may not be inducted for 6 to 12 months. I hope this will be a good experience for her.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •