Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Basic training doesn't have to be at Great Lakes. Orlando has basic for females. Now, the training schools might be in Chicago but basic can be in either Great Lakes, Orlando or San Diego. I can tell you that Orlando would be a lot nicer during winter time.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Basic training doesn't have to be at Great Lakes. Orlando has basic for females. Now, the training schools might be in Chicago but basic can be in either Great Lakes, Orlando or San Diego. I can tell you that Orlando would be a lot nicer during winter time.
    No joke!
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I'm proud as Hell of her! The reason "encouraged" earned quotes is because the subtext is "This is what the Service expects from you, and you need to do it." So, she's embracing that career path. She's also prepared to make a lifetime commitment, so we will see what happens. I know I've said it before, but I can't help saying it again, she had the highest ASVAB score in the San Antonio District in the past year.
    Ultimately, she ended up declining Nuclear Engineering, and will be doing programming and security. That's what she really wanted to do, and that was her final decision. I worry that it might hamper her career, but if that's what she wants, I support her 100%.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Not to throw water on your enthusiasm but they say those things all the time. When I took my tests way back when, they said the same thing: I made the highest score. When my son went in, they told him the same thing: highest score.

They told me that I qualified for whatever I wanted to do. They pushed the nuke program but I went for Advanced Avionics instead. My thinking was that if you go nuke, there aren't many civilian jobs that you can get on the outside. With avionics, you can go practically anywhere they have airplane maintenance facilities.

When I got out of the Navy, they were offering $16,000 as a reenlistment bonus for avionics. A lot of guys pounced on that. A good friend of mine blew it all on a car and that was the end of that. I turned that down and went to work for a major defense contractor instead and literally tripled my salary in the very first year.

Again, joining the Navy was probably the best thing I've ever done. And getting OUT of the Navy was probably the second best thing I've ever done.
    Did it ever occur to you that you and your son aren't just dumb rednecks but actually had great scores? The Navy isn't going to piss away large sums of money training people who can't do the job.

I have several old friends that served in the Navy during Vietnam on the Oriskany and the Bainbridge. They did two or three WestPac cruises each, then got out. Sad to say, in the 70's, being ex-military didn't get you much respect.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 07-28-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm proud as Hell of her! The reason "encouraged" earned quotes is because the subtext is "This is what the Service expects from you, and you need to do it." So, she's embracing that career path. She's also prepared to make a lifetime commitment, so we will see what happens. I know I've said it before, but I can't help saying it again, she had the highest ASVAB score in the San Antonio District in the past year.
    Ahhh, I misunderstood what the quotes were for.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Ahhh, I misunderstood what the quotes were for.
    All I can say is that I'm glad I've never made a mistake. Folks who have tell me they regret them.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I think your mother might have made a mistake, besides it was her right.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Joopster View Post
    I think your mother might have made a mistake, besides it was her right.
    I know you think you're a wit, but you're only half right.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    All I can say is that I'm glad I've never made a mistake. Folks who have tell me they regret them.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. :-)

I was born Wright.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. :-)

I was born Wright.
    I've never met anyone born Wright, but I have a friend who was born Wong.
    WIFFLEBALL!