Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Child Joined the Navy

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Holy cow! your family could have it's own baseball team!
    Yeah, if we weren't all so old! (I figure my oldest brother will be 78 in October)

And many of them don't like one or more of the others. So much of that I can't even keep track. LOL
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Elder Child reports to Great Lakes Naval Station on December 28. She will do 8 weeks of Basic, then do 15 weeks of IT training at Pensacola, where at least it's frikking warm. If she isn't going to be a Nuclear Propulsion Officer, I guess I might settle for her becoming a Cyber Warfare Engineer.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wow, Great Lakes at the end of December. They will march her bright and shiny ass in the early morning hours in the bitter cold and all kinds of weather. She is NOT going to like that one bit!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Wow, Great Lakes at the end of December. They will march her bright and shiny ass in the early morning hours in the bitter cold and all kinds of weather. She is NOT going to like that one bit!
    Yeah, we've talked about that some. Considering that EC signed her contract around April, the fact that she reports for basic in the middle of winter really sucks. But, then she gets to spend 15 weeks in Pensacola before she reports for duty, so things could be worse. Hell, she could have 8 weeks of basic in Chicago in winter and then another 15 weeks of training in Chicago in winter.

Still you're right; Texans shouldn't have to be shipped to the Cold Countries for any reasons ever. But, it's the requirement of her service, and EC is a really tough young woman. She'll do fine. She grew up in the Texas Panhandle where winters can drop into the negative digits, and summers can frequently bust the low hundreds. Basic will be a piece of cake for her, and she already has about 2 years of programming experience in Visual Basic and C++, plus some hands on experience with basic computer service with desktops and laptops. She will really kick ass.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 10-18-2015 at 01:33 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This just gets more interesting. Originally, we thought she would report to the recruitment center in Amarillo for pee tests, blood tests, etc. before she was sent off to ChiTown, but now, the Navy thinks that perhaps all that stuff will need to be done in San Antonio. I'm not sure I could book a Christmas flight into SA now. It also doesn't help that the Navy isn't quite sure when she needs to report, though I guess they will figure that out.

Anyway, it sorta looks like Christmas Day may see me driving my daughter to San Antonio. 9 hours on the road, no big deal. And when I get to SA, maybe I can take JaxSon out for a few drink or two and then pass out on his floor. Probably cheaper than a motel
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This just gets more interesting. Originally, we thought she would report to the recruitment center in Amarillo for pee tests, blood tests, etc. before she was sent off to ChiTown, but now, the Navy thinks that perhaps all that stuff will need to be done in San Antonio. I'm not sure I could book a Christmas flight into SA now. It also doesn't help that the Navy isn't quite sure when she needs to report, though I guess they will figure that out.

Anyway, it sorta looks like Christmas Day may see me driving my daughter to San Antonio. 9 hours on the road, no big deal. And when I get to SA, maybe I can take JaxSon out for a few drink or two and then pass out on his floor. Probably cheaper than a motel
    I do have a couch and an extra long twin mattress that I can throw on the floor if needed. But that would cost more than a drink or two.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I do have a couch and an extra long twin mattress that I can throw on the floor if needed. But that would cost more than a drink or two.
    My mother-in-law sold her property in Leon Valley and moved to Burnet recently. Her son-in-law now has his own construction company there, and she handles his book keeping. She was staying in Burnet during the week, and just coming back to SA on the weekends, but that got old.

Of course, as usual, I really have no GD idea what I'll actually be doing. More and more it seems like I wake up in a new world every day, and it's a totally different, bright and shiny place.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    ... I wake up in a new world every day, and it's a totally different, bright and shiny place.
    Must be nice to be you!
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Must be nice to be you!
    Clearly, you need to attend your local community college and take a refresher course in sarcasm.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If I promise not to vomit on the floor, do I get a discount?
    WIFFLEBALL!