Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

New Car

Been a while since I posted one of these, probably a few cars in between too, but I picked up a new (to me) car at the beginning of this year. I'm family sedan car guy now, but I've always wanted a car that could throw you back in the seat. Looked at the dodge chargers, but couldn't do rear wheel drive since my present car at the time was RWD and caused me all kinds of problems when it snowed.

Followed many cars on dealer websites, watched the prices slowly drop for weeks on them. Maximas, a camry or two that had the V6. November I stumbled upon the Ford Taurus SHO. 365 horsepower, 350 ft/lbs of torque, V6 twin turbo...started researching them, liked everything I saw, started looking for them at dealers, watched several come and go. Most were very expensive and I couldn't justify the price, but wanted one bad. Finally saw one listed way under book price, called the dealer and made an appt to see it. I had a price for their car and my car, had monthly payments figured based off those numbers for 4 and 5 year options. Told the guy when we were driving that I don't like to be f**ked around, but if he seriously wanted to sell the car today, no messing around and I would buy it. May have mentioned to him that my credit score was near perfect.

So I tell him I'm in a hurry, so no games pretending to talk to the manager or anything. They had checked my car over while I was test driving the SHO, he went to the manager office and came back about 3 minutes later with a printout of the prices. The numbers were slightly off mine on each car, but the overall number was almost 400 under my rock bottom price that I would have done the deal. I told him if he took another 500 off and also got me out of there within an hour, I would do the deal. He said ok. From the moment I got out of my original car to when I got in the SHO and drove off, it was one hour and 19 minutes.

Three and a half months later, besides the ridiculous acceleration that still makes me smile every time I punch the gas, my favorite option is the radar cruise control. If you buy a new or semi new car, get this option! You set a speed, then you set either a 2, 3 or 4 car gap that it will maintain, and you don't touch the gas or brake again. I thought every time someone cut in front of me it would slow the car down, but it doesn't. If they are going faster than you, your car will maintain it's speed even while the car is in your gap. I drive thru downtown rush hour traffic with it, and don't touch the gas or the brakes until I am getting off on my exit. It also has cross traffic alert, so if I put it in reverse and someone is coming my way it will warn me and tell me which direction to watch out for before I back out. It's great for when a big suv or truck is parked next to you and blocks your vision while you back up.

Too much other shit to even mention. I've never been a Ford guy, and for a while swore I would not only never own one, but never drive one. All of their cars have the same technology, from 2010 up. Highly recommend them if you are looking for a car, truck or suv. Mine is 2011 and had 103K miles when I bought it, but every person that I've taken for a ride has thought it was brand new. They also had the original window sticker for it and car fax showed it had been serviced regularly and they always took it to a dealer, but not the same one every time. I'm pretty sure due to the mileage and lack of wear to every seat other than the driver's seat that it was a fleet car or traveling sales person's car.

One option that mine does not have, but most of the others I've seen do have, is massaging seats. I wanted that pretty bad, but the good deal trumped that wish. Massaging f***ing seats, how great is this world we are living in? My next car will have that and a heated steering wheel.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Forgot the pic.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Ford badge removed from front and back of car, as well as the markings that it is a Taurus and SHO. The only place you can tell are the two pieces of chrome on the side of the car. Needs tinted windows.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That is one sweet looking ride! I've never heard of that radar cruise control, sounds pretty cool though, I'd love that for my daily commute.

Sounds like somebody did a lot of highway driving in that thing. Probably got a great buy on it I'm sure.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I learned to drive in winter in a Firebird. RWD in winter has never been an issue for me.

Nice car. I love newer tech in cars.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Same here, but that doesn't always make it practical. I lived in a house that was on top a hill for a few years, no matter how well you knew how to drive RWD, you were walking up that hill unless you were about 5 minutes behind the cinder truck.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Same here, but that doesn't always make it practical. I lived in a house that was on top a hill for a few years, no matter how well you knew how to drive RWD, you were walking up that hill unless you were about 5 minutes behind the cinder truck.
    yep.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    103K on a 2011? Has to be mostly highway miles cause that's a lot.

We just bought a 2005 caravan minivan with only 79K miles.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Sweet ride. I considered the Taurus, not the SHO, was turned off by the MPG. But I couldn't find fully loaded used anywhere. they were all fleet with basic features. I agree, if you're going all out on a car that will be in the family for 5-10 years, it should please you with every drive. I'm in the Kia cadenza premium with Lux package and I couldn't be happier. The next model up had the adaptive cruse you speak of, but I couldn't find those used for the price I wanted. 293 hp, and it's a little liter then the SHO...you'd probably still beat me, but if we were in the same town you know we'd have to stack up one day!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Had to look it up, mine weighs in about 3700, your SHO is over 4300...you still have the slight advantage, 11.8lb per HP vs my 12.6. It would be close, but you'd still pull away.