Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Same here, but that doesn't always make it practical. I lived in a house that was on top a hill for a few years, no matter how well you knew how to drive RWD, you were walking up that hill unless you were about 5 minutes behind the cinder truck.
    I have done quite well in winters. I have been stuck twice since I started driving. Both were due to the same snow storm and both were in my FWD. Both were also my fault. FWD while better in snow does not mean you can gun it up to 60 to crash through a 3 foot high snow drift a block long.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've been stuck in the snow more often in FWD cars than rear wheel drive vehicles, but that's just the luck of the draw. In hilly terrain with two feet or more of snow, it's hard to get around. One of my clients is a rancher who only owns two wheel drive trucks. One time I asked him why he didn't do 4 wheel drive, and he told me that with 4 wheel drive, you just got further from the house before you got stuck and had a longer walk home.

For frisky driving, you can't beat rear wheel drive, or some of the more sophisticated AWD systems. Taurus SHOs have always been great performers and super reliable. OK, so the original SHOs with the Yamaha engine broke right side motor mounts like crazy, but otherwise, these have always been great cars.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Hey Imarolan, just out of curiosity, what is the MPG on that bad boy?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Hey Imarolan, just out of curiosity, what is the MPG on that bad boy?
    I think they're around 17 town/25 highway.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I've been stuck in the snow more often in FWD cars than rear wheel drive vehicles, but that's just the luck of the draw. In hilly terrain with two feet or more of snow, it's hard to get around. One of my clients is a rancher who only owns two wheel drive trucks. One time I asked him why he didn't do 4 wheel drive, and he told me that with 4 wheel drive, you just got further from the house before you got stuck and had a longer walk home.

For frisky driving, you can't beat rear wheel drive, or some of the more sophisticated AWD systems. Taurus SHOs have always been great performers and super reliable. OK, so the original SHOs with the Yamaha engine broke right side motor mounts like crazy, but otherwise, these have always been great cars.
    People with 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles drive like assholes around these parts. They fail to understand the concept taht because they can accelerate and drive faster on ice, all cars are equal when you clamp on the binders. All it accomplishes is they go deeper in the ditches than those of us with FWD or RWD cars.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Very cool car!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    One of my clients is a rancher who only owns two wheel drive trucks. One time I asked him why he didn't do 4 wheel drive, and he told me that with 4 wheel drive, you just got further from the house before you got stuck and had a longer walk home.
    When offroading alone always say in 2wd. When you get stuck put it in 4wd and turn around

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    People with 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles drive like assholes around these parts. They fail to understand the concept taht because they can accelerate and drive faster on ice, all cars are equal when you clamp on the binders. All it accomplishes is they go deeper in the ditches than those of us with FWD or RWD cars.
    If there were an award for "Understatement of the Year" you would have just won it. It doesn't snow nearly as much in the Texas Panhandle as it used to, but we have plenty of days where it is really icy. Most of the wrecks in winter involve younger drivers in pickups who believe they are exempt from the laws of physics. A lot of the stuff I see would be really funny if injuries and property damage weren't often involved.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    When offroading alone always say in 2wd. When you get stuck put it in 4wd and turn around
    Yup. Or have a wench.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Imarolan, wasn't that you that once drove up to some slummy part of Detroit and bought a Nissan 280ZX which ended up giving you a lot of problems on the way home? I remember that being a great story even though it was not a great story for you as it happened.