Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: New Car

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Update.....lost the link to this site months ago, for whatever reason typing just the web address gave me a page not available error for months on end. Then it finally started working again, too dumb to remember my password. Blah blah blah. Life is mostly the same, Xerox is fully absorbing us finally and all of management at our smaller company got demoted to fit their 15 techs per manager mold that has been so successful for their service team. So for the last 9 months I am back to being just a technician, no more babysitting grown lazy a** adults, no more stress when other people can't fix stuff, it has been awesome. Make the same hourly rate except I am no longer salary, so with overtime I actually make more money now and shut everything down at the end of the work day. No more looking at reports and doing spreadsheets til all hours of the night.

Now on to the important stuff.

I still have my 2015 Taurus and still love it. A buddy of mine bought a brand new challenger scat pack last fall and was talking smack about racing me this spring, so it inspired me to buy some go fast parts to make my car even faster. I bought an upgraded high pressure fuel pump which allows me to run an aggressive pump gas 93 octane mixed with E85 mix, which allows me to turn the boost up and advance the timing. My first trip to the drag strip I ran a 12.425 and was hooked from that point on. Next trip I ran 12.25, then bought an upgraded intercooler. Next thing you know I'm going to the track every week, sometimes twice a week and competing in the Jegs ET points series.

I had no idea how it worked, so I lost every single race for a good 3-4 months. It's bracket racing, so you pick a dial in time (time you expect your car to run) and closest car to their time without going faster wins the race. I did not realize your reaction time to the light was not included in your dial in time, so I was adding that in and that caused me to run faster than my time and lose every single time. Didn't really care because I was just their to race. At some point towards the end of the summer, another guy with an SHO came to the track and started asking me about my car because I was .7 seconds faster than him and he wanted to make his faster too. He ended up explaining how everything worked with bracket racing, and next thing you know I start winning races.

I'm not a fan of linear stories, so let's get back to my buddy and his scat pack. I got him to come out to the track in June or July I think. By this point he had a good 6-8 months of smack talk about how his car was faster, so we got to the track early and were able to get lined up next to each other first run of the night. His reaction time was about .7 seconds while mine was .05, and I ran a 12.3 to his 12.6, so needless to say I was several bus lengths ahead of him at the finish line. I ran 12.3's and 12.2's all night long while he just got worse and worse. He couldn't even get into the 12.'s again after the first run, I think he had a 13.1 and then a 13.4 after that. It was pretty enjoyable from my perspective.

I went to several different tracks, 4 different tracks in Ohio and 2 in Michigan and it was the same story every time. Nobody pays a lick of attention to me until they race me, then after the race they follow me into the pits and start asking me lots of questions about how my car is so fast. I beat a few hellcats, lots of chargers and challengers, mustangs Camaros even a cts-v as long as it was heads up racing and no dial in times.

My goal all year was to get into the 11's, so in October when the weather cooled off, I removed about 200 pounds of seats, stereo speakers and other stuff from my car and finished the year with a personal best of 11.75. That was good for the 7th fastest ecoboost Taurus in the country, and the fastest ecoboost Taurus in the country with stock turbos. The 6 guys ahead of me all have either upgraded turbos, methanol injection and or nitrous oxide. I'm kinda cheap so I didn't want to sink that kind of money into a car.

Bought a go pro so I could get some in car footage of races. Here's one of a Camaro that I put the beat down on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR6w...cI3aA&index=21

Earlier in the year some random youtube guy posted videos of me on his site. I didn't even know until a guy in one of the Taurus forums I frequent posted the link and said "hey I think this is your car". Was pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzwgAtpuJE

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We have two tracks up by me. Thompson Drag Raceway and Dragway 42. Have seen some funny car and pro cars at Dragway 42. Ran a 1978 Chevy Monza with a Corvette L88 motor and trans in the eighties at Thompson at 11.55. Had to tie the passenger door closed. The torque was twisting the unibody frame. Also built a 1978 Mercury Capri. Back in the day, you could buy a kit that included a modified oil pan, pickup, engine mounts, and headers. Take out the v6, and stuff a 302 with a c4 trans in it. Shorten a Mustang rear end, shorten the drive shaft, get some good rubber, and you're racing. Then babies came along, and all my hobbies were gone......

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Nice, that is fast! Is it still your daily driver?
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Eco Boosts Love high Octane - @ 93 Octane I run 1/8 Mile and run a 9.75 in a 2L Ecoboost escape. with 87 it's a 10.20.

May I recommend

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Eco Boosts Love high Octane - @ 93 Octane I run 1/8 Mile and run a 9.75 in a 2L Ecoboost escape. with 87 it's a 10.20.

May I recommend

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

Dragway 42 is probably my favorite track, I went there 6 or 7 times this year.

Not my daily driver as of June, I'm driving 70-140 miles a day for work so I picked up a 97 Honda accord for a little over 2 grand. I figure I can sell it for about as much as I paid once we are forced into company vans next year. Taurus mostly sits in garage except for the weekends.

I started out with Livernois, ran their tune for 70K miles on last car. This car their tune gave me problems so I ended up using Gearhead. They are based out of Texas and the owner drives a SHO and has run it on his own dyno over 500 times making it perfect and developing aftermarket products for the car. This spring he put out the first commercially available intercooler that is actually proven to work. I can run the same time on a 90 degree day that I was running on a 50 degree day with his intercooler.

Livernois held the world record for these cars for the last 4 years @11.55, but with more aftermarket stuff finally hitting the market end of last year and beginning of this year, and three different people beat the record this year. Current record now stands at 11.08 and a handful of guys are aiming for 10's next year. My plan is to pretty much leave my car where it's at and focus on consistency next year and trying to win some bracket races. Right before the record was broken, the record holder's car was supposed to be one of the featured display vehicles at Ford Nationals, he took it to Livernois to have a few upgrades done a month or so before nationals and they blew up his engine on their dyno. He ended up having to pull his car from being displayed and was pretty pissed off. Livernois is pretty much looked at as a joke in the Taurus world and has been for the last 2-3 years. That was just the icing on the cake. Their prices have always been insane too. Pretty much all the ones that start out good end up that way.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Figured I'd update this and also push the spam posts down a notch.

Points racing series I participated in did not go so well. The tires I used last year were shot when spring hit, so I had to replace them. My reaction time to the light was inconsistent all year, and is super important in bracket racing. A couple weeks ago I bought street legal drag radials and have been to a few test and tunes since then and all of a sudden my reaction times are on point again. I had suspicions that the new tires were causing my problems all year, but with all the corona stuff this summer and job insecurity I could not make the purchase until recently.

I'm currently in 18th place and the last two events are this Saturday and Sunday. Hoping to win at least a round each day.

Here's a facebook video of me racing a hellcat this past week at a track in Michigan.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=32...SoiBdMbuUyrQd0

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Here I am last year beating up on a 2019 Dodge Ram Hemi

This guy cuts two guys off inline to get up beside me, then tells me I'm an easy mark.

Normally I would peddle it enough to beat him but not show off.

But the easy mark comment pissed me off, I decided I was going to embarrass him.

Later came over claimed I wasn't streets and called my car a trailer queen. I told him I didn't drive it to the track, my wife did I drove the trailer with the camper 100 miles (160km) one way and after racing she drove it home

https://youtu.be/3myTUYwwSDs

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Made him look bad.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That's the one thing I hate about the track, the guy who whines after a race about it not being fair or claim I'm cheating. It's very rare but I pisses me of greatly. Win or Lose I go and shake my competitors hand.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    As a former street racer...a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

I was never a sore loser, I just asked what they ran and tried to figure if I could use it in my setups. You can spot a liar from a mile away when they tell you they are running stock or have mild mods.

You just gotta know what you have and how it works. Hell, I used to win some informal races with my 13 Nissan Altima with a CVT because I knew what RPM it had the most power at and with the CVT I could hold it there.

On a side note, I never understood why everyone with those Dodges think they are race trucks. They are heavy...really heavy
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."