Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Had to look it up, mine weighs in about 3700, your SHO is over 4300...you still have the slight advantage, 11.8lb per HP vs my 12.6. It would be close, but you'd still pull away.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've been stuck in the snow more often in FWD cars than rear wheel drive vehicles, but that's just the luck of the draw. In hilly terrain with two feet or more of snow, it's hard to get around. One of my clients is a rancher who only owns two wheel drive trucks. One time I asked him why he didn't do 4 wheel drive, and he told me that with 4 wheel drive, you just got further from the house before you got stuck and had a longer walk home.

For frisky driving, you can't beat rear wheel drive, or some of the more sophisticated AWD systems. Taurus SHOs have always been great performers and super reliable. OK, so the original SHOs with the Yamaha engine broke right side motor mounts like crazy, but otherwise, these have always been great cars.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I've been stuck in the snow more often in FWD cars than rear wheel drive vehicles, but that's just the luck of the draw. In hilly terrain with two feet or more of snow, it's hard to get around. One of my clients is a rancher who only owns two wheel drive trucks. One time I asked him why he didn't do 4 wheel drive, and he told me that with 4 wheel drive, you just got further from the house before you got stuck and had a longer walk home.

For frisky driving, you can't beat rear wheel drive, or some of the more sophisticated AWD systems. Taurus SHOs have always been great performers and super reliable. OK, so the original SHOs with the Yamaha engine broke right side motor mounts like crazy, but otherwise, these have always been great cars.
    People with 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles drive like assholes around these parts. They fail to understand the concept taht because they can accelerate and drive faster on ice, all cars are equal when you clamp on the binders. All it accomplishes is they go deeper in the ditches than those of us with FWD or RWD cars.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    People with 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles drive like assholes around these parts. They fail to understand the concept taht because they can accelerate and drive faster on ice, all cars are equal when you clamp on the binders. All it accomplishes is they go deeper in the ditches than those of us with FWD or RWD cars.
    If there were an award for "Understatement of the Year" you would have just won it. It doesn't snow nearly as much in the Texas Panhandle as it used to, but we have plenty of days where it is really icy. Most of the wrecks in winter involve younger drivers in pickups who believe they are exempt from the laws of physics. A lot of the stuff I see would be really funny if injuries and property damage weren't often involved.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    One of my clients is a rancher who only owns two wheel drive trucks. One time I asked him why he didn't do 4 wheel drive, and he told me that with 4 wheel drive, you just got further from the house before you got stuck and had a longer walk home.
    When offroading alone always say in 2wd. When you get stuck put it in 4wd and turn around

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    When offroading alone always say in 2wd. When you get stuck put it in 4wd and turn around
    Yup. Or have a wench.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Hey Imarolan, just out of curiosity, what is the MPG on that bad boy?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    I think they're around 17 town/25 highway.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    I've averaged 22.3 over 4500 miles, most of my driving is on freeways going 65mph and the onboard mpg calculator seems to be accurate to the tenth of a mile, the furthest off it's been has been half a mpg. I have yet to do a long road trip in it, but if I keep it at 65 mph I can get a touch over 27 mpg.

My previous car wasa a cadillac sts. I never got stuck in it, but there is hill with an S turn to get out of my apartment complex that never gets salted or plowed, and a long hill to get on the freewy that is always backed up in the morning. Every time I'd come to a stop I'd be panicked about whether I'd be able to get it moving again. When you regulary have meetings to get to at specific times, worrying about whether your car will get you there becomes old real fast. I also had a scare on the freeway driving home from Pittsburgh over Thanksgiving. Was going 60 mph, steady as she goes, was not accelerating, decelerating or swerving at all. Out of nowhere, the car fishtails almost 90 degrees and after it goin back and forth 5 or 6 times I finally got control of it again. If someone else told me that happened to them, I wouldn't believe it, but I swear I was not doing anything but going in a straight line. The SHO is a f**king tank in the snow!

Semper, I wouldn't care what you were driving or whether I thought you'd smoke me or not, any opportunity to put the hammer down is a good day in my book. I've never timed it, but supposedly it will get to 60 in just over 5 seconds. It feels somewhat violent when you mash the pedal down.

It was me that drove up to the anus of america to buy a 1983 Datsun 280 zx. That was the scariest day of my life. I kept that car til obama was elected, then bought a Mazda rx8. I kept the 280 for about two years after that but never drove it, then finally sold it about two years ago. My days of having more than one car are behind me now.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by imarolan12 View Post
    I've averaged 22.3 over 4500 miles, most of my driving is on freeways going 65mph and the onboard mpg calculator seems to be accurate to the tenth of a mile, the furthest off it's been has been half a mpg. I have yet to do a long road trip in it, but if I keep it at 65 mph I can get a touch over 27 mpg.
    That's interesting as I was sure it would be quite a bit lower than that. Obviously over here the cost of gas means cars that can get good MPG are a priority for most people, (my own does 50MPG + but is not something I enjoy driving). I don't usually like U.S. cars but I have to say if I lived over there or if the cost of fuel was half what it is here then I absolutely would be going out looking at one like yours. It's a stunner.