Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously? Apple wants to control this?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Seriously? Apple wants to control this?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2483399,00.asp

If you have plans for a custom app for customizing your watch, Apple says no.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh good! This will prevent the app store from being clogged up with a bunch of ugly watch apps.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What the hell is wrong with a watch app, seriously?

And how does that clog up a store when their is itunes with millions of items?
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The time apps will be supported in version 2 of the watch, which will also be 0.01mm thinner and weigh 0.1g less.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    What the hell is wrong with a watch app, seriously?

And how does that clog up a store when their is itunes with millions of items?
    I dunno. I just think it's cool when they lay down the law like that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I dunno. I just think it's cool when they lay down the law like that.
    I've just never been all that comfortable with the "walled garden" approach. I prefer hardware and software that's more open, but of course, there is a downside to that as well.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I've just never been all that comfortable with the "walled garden" approach. I prefer hardware and software that's more open, but of course, there is a downside to that as well.
    The only phone with truly open software is the Nexus. Everything else is filled with carrier bloatware and locked down. Apple, Microsoft, Google. They are all walled gardens now.

But yeah, there's definitely pros and cons to both sides it. For my primary systems though I'm fine with walled garden. I don't want to mess around with taking things apart and hacking things to make things work. Tired of spending time fixing things and finding workarounds. I want reliability. I want things to work as designed. On the other hand, for hobby type stuff, I love open systems. I've spent many a weekend learning Linux and a million other things over the years. These days though, for me personally I'm more interested in spending my time creating content rather than spending time dealing with the hardware/software the content is created with. So I'm fine with walled garden for that reason alone.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If I buy something, I want to use it the way it was intended. All my OS's are streamlined and phone and tablets are rooted. xda-developers.com is a great site.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah,... I'd rather not have to root or jailbreak anything. For many people, it's probably a fun experience to spend time doing all that. It's not for me though. These days I'm more interested in learning how to use my devices for creating stuff.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I get that. I guess if I spend 600 bucks for an item, I want to use it how it suits me, not the manufacturer.