Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously? Apple wants to control this?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Yeah, I get that. I guess if I spend 600 bucks for an item, I want to use it how it suits me, not the manufacturer.
    I'm terminally impatient these days. 20 years or so ago, it was really fun to poke around the guts of your OS or software, but these days I just want to use stuff with a minimum amount of drama and effort. All the same, my attitude about tech is close to Larommi's, but I'm too lazy and undemanding to want to root my phone. Mostly, with standard Android apps I can get it mostly working the way I want.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I'm terminally impatient these days. 20 years or so ago, it was really fun to poke around the guts of your OS or software, but these days I just want to use stuff with a minimum amount of drama and effort. All the same, my attitude about tech is close to Larommi's, but I'm too lazy and undemanding to want to root my phone. Mostly, with standard Android apps I can get it mostly working the way I want.
    The main reason I rooted mine is to get rid of the crap ware. I am too OCD to have crap I cannot get rid of. Functionality wise, everything is easier to find.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    The only phone with truly open software is the Nexus. Everything else is filled with carrier bloatware and locked down. Apple, Microsoft, Google.
    Make up your mind, Nexus is *THE* Google phone...
    And there are other open phones out there - Oneplus One runs Cyanogenmod out of the box and can be rooted without voiding the warranty.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I get that. I guess if I spend 600 bucks for an item, I want to use it how it suits me, not the manufacturer.
    I don't think I've ever spent $600 on a device but yeah -- if I did then I'd probably feel the same way.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I don't think I've ever spent $600 on a device but yeah -- if I did then I'd probably feel the same way.
    You do. No one is giving you an iPhone. The carrier is getting their money for it. It might be spread out of the contract
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Make up your mind, Nexus is *THE* Google phone...
    And there are other open phones out there - Oneplus One runs Cyanogenmod out of the box and can be rooted without voiding the warranty.
    That's what I meant. The Nexus runs pure Android. It's the ONLY one that does as far I know. Most Android based phones are filled with carrier bloatware and crudded up with crap. So you have to root it to be able to remove all that extra stuff. It's just too much hassle. If other people want to root then cool. It's just not for me. Not to mention, once you buy one of those good luck getting OS upgrades as they come out. Carriers take their sweet time releasing (if they ever even do).

As for Oneplus One well great. Up until recently you could only get one through an invitation. And demand for it is on the decline now. The Oneplus One had it's 5 minutes of fame. I guess overall it's a pretty good deal since they only cost around $300. But either way, meh.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You do. No one is giving you an iPhone. The carrier is getting their money for it. It might be spread out of the contract
    Oh yeah, true. They get the retail cost either way I guess. You're right. I stand corrected. But to be honest, the stuff I use works amazingly. If there's anything I would benefit from that I'm missing by being part of the walled garden then I'm failing to see it. And honestly, I'm not even just talking about Apple. I think Google is doing some amazing things too. Heck, even Microsoft is producing some cool stuff. We live in a great time for technology. Sure back in the early days it was good to jailbreak or root and get the things that they didn't include by default. But these days everything is pretty much there.

I guess I'm off on a tangent at this point. I think the point I'm really trying to make though is that they are all walled gardens these days. The "open" choices are either very limited or require a lot of extra effort to get to -- which I'm not interested in. And I do realize that supporting a walled garden system sorta supports "the man" rather than sticking it to him -- but I don't care. I'm not 16 anymore with a mission to be a radical anarchist and bring down the corporate empire. I'm just a guy trying to make a living and find some level of joy in life. So I'm fine with the walled garden.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    About the time that Apple watch bursts into flames on the wrist of a Lawyer, things should get pretty interesting.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    About the time that Apple watch bursts into flames on the wrist of a Lawyer, things should get pretty interesting.
    Yeah, I can see this leading to a massive class action lawsuit where most of the participants are awarded a box of BandAids and a tube of Neosporin ointment while the lawyers make millions.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post

It's a feature, you just have to hold the watch a certain way