Thread: Android and iOS on Win10

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Right! Another one I read earlier. Pretty cool! Maybe someone can write a messenger app so that I can get iMessages on Windows. Need that for work.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Maybe someone can write a messenger app so that I can get iMessages on Windows
    That someone MUST be Apple, and I'm betting Apple won't do it (except for maybe a mac app). It would reduce the incentive for an Apple handset...

In thread-related news, the upcoming VS2015 is supposed to be able to make apps for Android and iOS.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This is pretty interesting. I can certainly see that this might benefit MS and perhaps some Windows users, but I think it is less clear that developers writing for iOS and Android would see benefit proportional to the work of porting their apps.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I think it is less clear that developers writing for iOS and Android would see benefit proportional to the work of porting their apps.
    Actually the benefit is that you have one single code base and you package them for all platforms. Much cheaper and faster development, no need to have one team writing Windows desktop, one team iOS, one team Android, one team Windows phone - each using its own code base and their own set of bugs.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Actually the benefit is that you have one single code base and you package them for all platforms. Much cheaper and faster development, no need to have one team writing Windows desktop, one team iOS, one team Android, one team Windows phone - each using its own code base and their own set of bugs.
    That isn't the way I read the article in Larommi's original post. By my reading the MS initiative doesn't permit iOS apps to be ported to Android, and vice versa, so you still need separate development teams iOS and Android apps. Then, with Microsoft's new tools, iOS and Android apps can be modified to run under Windows 10, but "the actual process will be a little more complicated than just pushing a few buttons to recompile apps. "Initially it will be analogous to what Amazon offers," notes Myerson, referring to the Android work Microsoft is doing. "If they
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    ARRGH! Truncated again! Fine. I'll approach this again tomorrow.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    That isn't the way I read the article in Larommi's original post. By my reading the MS initiative doesn't permit iOS apps to be ported to Android, and vice versa,
    I was referring to VS2015 being able to generate apps for all platforms (not to port from a platform to another) - I thought that's where you hinted at with the comment.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I was referring to VS2015 being able to generate apps for all platforms (not to port from a platform to another) - I thought that's where you hinted at with the comment.
    Yep, I think we were on totally different pages there. Anyway, I'm just gonna let my reply left incomplete like a dead dog in the gutter. But now that I more clearly understand what you were saying, I'd have to agree.
    WIFFLEBALL!