Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and the new Apple watch

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I do. I hadn't worn a watch for about 3 years, but my wife gave me one for Father's Day last year, so I wear a watch.
    Right. A lot of people wear a watch not just to tell time but more for like a piece of jewelry or something of sentimental value. It's a style accessory. Or something like that.

Me, I haven't worn a watch in years. I mostly want one that I can use during running. And I want it to work with my phone. If I'm running and my phone beeps then usually I stop or slow down... gotta dig down into the pocket to get the phone with my gross sweaty hands,... then good luck getting the touch id sensor to work. Finally once the phone comes up then gotta swipe around for the messages app. All that just to read a message that says, "Ok". So I always thought it would be great to just have something on my wrist that I could look at real quick. Let the phone do all the work but give me a little screen on my wrist to show the output. Another example is location services data and motion sensor stuff. With the iPhone 5s/6/6+ it has great features built in for that. But again, gotta reach into the pocket to get at it. With a watch, it's all right there.

Are these things needed? No. A luxury? Absolutely! Do I want one after all has been said? Of course!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    I wear a watch because I am too lazy to take my phone out of my pocket, press a button to turn the screen on, and look at the time.
    This^^^

Absolutely agreed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Right. A lot of people wear a watch not just to tell time but more for like a piece of jewelry or something of sentimental value. It's a style accessory. Or something like that.

Me, I haven't worn a watch in years. I mostly want one that I can use during running. And I want it to work with my phone. If I'm running and my phone beeps then usually I stop or slow down... gotta dig down into the pocket to get the phone with my gross sweaty hands,... then good luck getting the touch id sensor to work. Finally once the phone comes up then gotta swipe around for the messages app. All that just to read a message that says, "Ok". So I always thought it would be great to just have something on my wrist that I could look at real quick. Let the phone do all the work but give me a little screen on my wrist to show the output. Another example is location services data and motion sensor stuff. With the iPhone 5s/6/6+ it has great features built in for that. But again, gotta reach into the pocket to get at it. With a watch, it's all right there.

Are these things needed? No. A luxury? Absolutely! Do I want one after all has been said? Of course!
    There's a long tradition of watches being used as personal statements. I'd say that buying an Apple watch is orders of magnitude more sane than dropping $8 grand plus on a Rolex.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    There's a long tradition of watches being used as personal statements. I'd say that buying an Apple watch is orders of magnitude more sane than dropping $30 grand plus on a Rolex.
    That's funny you should mention Rolex because lately I've had this thought that maybe Jony Ive's goal is to compete with Rolex for the "status" part of this whole thing. It's the only explanation I can come up with for why they would release a watch and try to sell it for the ridiculously comical price of $17,000. lol. I still chuckle at that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    That's funny you should mention Rolex because lately I've had this thought that maybe Jony Ive's goal is to compete with Rolex for the "status" part of this whole thing. It's the only explanation I can come up with for why they would release a watch and try to sell it for the ridiculously comical price of $17,000. lol. I still chuckle at that.
    Even loonier, you can actually spend $60 thou or so on a Rolex. Don't believe it, check out Amazon. Can you say, "overcompensating for something?"
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I do. I hadn't worn a watch for about 3 years, but my wife gave me one for Father's Day last year, so I wear a watch.
    I've been wearing watches since elementary school. Currently I have a Citizen Skyhawk that has proven extremely precise and resilient - have been wearing it for 13 years, went into ocean with it....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I've been wearing watches since elementary school. Currently I have a Citizen Skyhawk that has proven extremely precise and resilient - have been wearing it for 13 years, went into ocean with it....
    Funny how attitudes change. When I was a kid, finally having a wristwatch was a big deal. You weren't grown up, but you had a watch! Babies didn't have watches. Didn't matter if it was only a cheap Timex; it was a watch! Now I catch grief from my kids because they don't have Samsung S6's yet.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Even loonier, you can actually spend $60 thou or so on a Rolex. Don't believe it, check out Amazon. Can you say, "overcompensating for something?"
    That's the thing though -- I can at least kinda justify the $60K price tag of a Rolex because it's supposed to be such a fine time piece and theoretically could last a lifetime and be passed down through generations. But the Apple watch is just a piece of electronics that will be obsolete in 2 years. So to ask $17K for one is just comical at best. LOL.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The day I wear a watch again is the day my car talks and drives itself and I have to talk to it through my watch.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I haven't worn a watch in almost 15 years, pretty much since I've started carrying a cell phone. Back in March my wife told me she was going to buy me a smart watch for my birthday but wanted me to pick my own out. I researched them and researched them and finally decided I just didn't want one. I thought the idea was cool, but figured anything I can do on them, I can also do on my phone which is always going to be a few feet away at most with a much bigger screen. I decided it would be a toy that would cost a couple of hundred dollars and I'd play with the first few weeks and then eventually quit using so I decided against it.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison