Thread: 76 Things Banned in Leviticus

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

76 Things Banned in Leviticus

I know this subject came up about some of the ridiculous stuff that is in the Bible, Koran, etc.

If you've got some time, this is a good read on the Old Testament:

http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2012/06...penalties.html

Leviticus is a funny book for modern Christians. Along with Deuteronomy and swathes of Exodus and Numbers, it lays out the Law for the Israelites. But it’s largely ignored by modern Christians because it’s felt that Jesus replaced the Law (except where He didn’t) and that Paul said a lot of it didn’t apply (except for the parts that did). And for all of that, many are still willing to cite Leviticus for things that they think are sinful, while ignoring it for things they don’t.

In other words, people tend to cherry-pick which of the Levitican laws (or, for that matter, all of the Old Covenant, not to mention most of the Bible) they think still apply, and which don’t.
    Last edited by JaxSon; 05-14-2015 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Despite the fact that a lot of people claim to believe in the literal truth of everything in the Bible; nobody really does. People tend to interpret the Bible, or the Torah, or the Koran, or whatever, based on their preconceptions and established views. Frequently, religious beliefs may be more about a sense of communal identity. The upshot is that virtually anyone, of any faith, can find a way to interpret their holy books to support their interpretations. Pro slavery Christians and anti-slavery Christians both found scriptures to support their beliefs. Sometimes the same verses.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Despite the fact that a lot of people claim to believe in the literal truth of everything in the Bible; nobody really does. People tend to interpret the Bible, or the Torah, or the Koran, or whatever, based on their preconceptions and established views. Frequently, religious beliefs may be more about a sense of communal identity. The upshot is that virtually anyone, of any faith, can find a way to interpret their holy books to support their interpretations. Pro slavery Christians and anti-slavery Christians both found scriptures to support their beliefs. Sometimes the same verses.
    What he said.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If there were like buttons here, I would like the two previous posts :-)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.