Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSD

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

SSD

Just got a samsung 850 EVO SSD (250gb, about 550MBPS read/write). Only have sata 3gb slots on my motherboard, so max is about 300MBPS. I have a Velociraptor now, wondering how much faster it's going to be. From the looks of things, the sustained read speeds are only going to be about 100MBPS better at best, though from the looks of things the "everything else related to drive performance" is worlds better.

I may put it in tonight, will let you know.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Bummer that your controller limits transfer rates to 300 otherwise performance wouldn't even be close. Still, latency, power consumption, heat output, are all lots better for SSDs. I'd also add that my experiences with Raptors and Velociraptors hasn't been all that good when it comes to reliability.

For $20-$30, you can get some OK 6 Gbps controllers that use PCIE 2.0 slots, so that would be worth a look, I think. But no way, no how will I ever run a HDD as my primary drive even if my old Agility 3 is anemic by current standards.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My work laptop has SSD, it's crazy fast. No comparison to HDD.
    At home I'm using a hybrid drive. I like it, although it's not nearly as fast as the SSD. Windows boots in 21sec from boot logo to login screen.
    Last edited by CeeBee; 05-15-2015 at 01:19 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    SSD's are so awesome. But just keep this one thing in mind,... I read recently that an SSD can lose all it's data if it's without power for a short period of time. I had no idea about this up until about a week ago. So make sure to back up often.

link: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ssds-lose-d...7-days-1500402

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    My work laptop has SSD, it's crazy fast. No comparison to HDD.
    At home I'm using a hybrid drive. I like it, although it's not nearly as fast as the SSD. Windows boots in 21sec from boot logo to login screen.
    Wow. 21 seconds? That seems a little slow. This MacBook Pro boots to the login screen in 12 seconds.

Video

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    This MacBook Pro boots to the login screen in 12 seconds.
    With a HYBRID or SSD?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    SSD's are so awesome. But just keep this one thing in mind,... I read recently that an SSD can lose all it's data if it's without power for a short period of time. I had no idea about this up until about a week ago. So make sure to back up often.

link: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ssds-lose-d...7-days-1500402
    And heat. I guess some are advising to keep them out of server clusters.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wow. 21 seconds? That seems a little slow. This MacBook Pro boots to the login screen in 12 seconds.

Video
    The lenovo ultrabooks are the same. Win7 in 12 or so seconds. The post takes longer than the boot now.

Capt Benadryl came to treat my allergies and I didn't install it yet. Going to toss Win 10 on it on Sunday night maybe. I'm interested to see what it does to performance with an older system. Q6600, 4gb ram, at I 4870. Some years back I had posted a thread asking if dual and quad cores would lengthen the time PCs remained in production, and this is almost 8 years old and only now am I running into some walls (data and the PCIE x16 slot). This is my last upgrade to old Bessie.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 05-15-2015 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    With a HYBRID or SSD?
    It's a proprietary SSD like this.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    The lenovo ultrabooks are the same. Win7 in 12 or so seconds. The post takes longer than the boot now.

Capt Benadryl came to treat my allergies and I didn't install it yet. Going to toss Win 10 on it on Sunday night maybe. I'm interested to see what it does to performance with an older system. Q6600, 4gb ram, at I 4870. Some years back I had posted a thread asking if dual and quad cores would lengthen the time PCs remained in production, and this is almost 8 years old and only now am I running into some walls (data and the PCIE x16 slot). This is my last upgrade to old Bessie.
    That'll be cool to see how a clean install of Win 10 works out on that. It should boot pretty fast even on an older system. By the way, Flonase is like a magical formula from another universe. I highly recommend if if you haven't tried it already. It's sold right off the shelf now. Benadryl is ok but it's better as a sleep aid than as an allergy treatment (at least for that's the case).