Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSD

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Anyone know if I need to do something to enable TRIM on the SSD with Win10?? I guess I've got some research to do.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    Well, I updated the video card driver by telling it to update it, and black screen. Hard restart and it did some updates and its showing as a 4800, so that's probably a good thing. Off to get steam and play left for dead.
    I'll give you a quick story about Windows 10 and my Dell Studio 15.

It used to run Windows 7.
    I upgraded to Windows 8 and HATED IT!
    With time, it got better. I clean installed Windows 8.1 and had it setup perfectly.
    It was working beautifully.
    Then about a month ago I tried to do the Windows 10 upgrade that all the nerds in the tech blogs were saying to do.
    Big mistake. I wish I would've imaged it before doing that. I just put my trust into it.
    The screen resolution sucks because video driver isn't compatible or some other problem.
    The thing looks like crud.

So that might not be the case for everyone but it was for me. My thought is that I will attempt to install again (but this time from an ISO and do it clean). I just haven't had time because of school. So I'll be doing that over the summer. Anyway, I hope you get it all working well. Keep in mind, no matter what anyone says, it's still not a released version. It is (for all intents and purposes) a beta. So bugs still exist and probably will for a long time.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well the clean install is OK so far, but when Project Spartan is open, it makes the PC black screen and chug slowly, mouse shows with a spinning disc. Well, f**k you spartan! Firefox as per usual.

No, wasn't spartan after all. Not so sure this is stable...
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; 05-15-2015 at 10:43 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well that was a total failure. Black screen with mouse cursor after anything runs for more than X minutes or seconds. Don't care to troubleshoot issue, will try Win7 next week when I have time so I can add the proper drivers for my devices.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Anyone know if I need to do something to enable TRIM on the SSD with Win10?? I guess I've got some research to do.
    I've only used SSDs with Win7 and 8.x, and I've never seen TRIM fail to implement if your drive contoller is set to AHCI in the BIOS. However, in random installations, I've seen Defrag fail to automatically turn off.

You can verify TRIM status by opening an administrative command prompt and using the command line:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
    DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

To enable TRIM (if it's disabled), go to command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well the clean install is OK so far, but when Project Spartan is open, it makes the PC black screen and chug slowly, mouse shows with a spinning disc. Well, f**k you spartan! Firefox as per usual.

No, wasn't spartan after all. Not so sure this is stable...
    Another thing,... if it's called, "Project Spartan" then that's the experimental beta version. The "Edge" browser is what the final polished version will be. Personally I think all they did was rename "Explorer" to "Edge" and add Cortana functionality. But I'm pretty sure under the hood it's still the same crappy browser.

And by the way, did I mention what a resource hog Cortana is? Super duper memory hog.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    A little update here: Just got Windows 10 installed over here and it's actually running pretty nicely on this 7 year old laptop with no SSD. Not bad actually.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    With a HYBRID or SSD?
    Doesn't matter, it's an Apple so it is just better at everything in every possible way.