Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anybody reading anything?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The local libraries that I've been to are just sad. People don't come in there to read books. They come in to use their internet and print stuff out on their printers. They do have group sessions in the mornings where they read books to little kids but that's it from what I've seen. Nobody is actually reading books.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm slowly working my way through Night Probe - Clive Cussler.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I guess I should say that I am tlaking about audiobooks from the libary

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Wow, I read that book a LONG time ago. Liked it a lot. The movie was kind of a let down tho from the book.
    Would this be the shitty movie from the late 70's early 80's? Because, yeah, that sucked ass. I was hugely into the Titanic back then. I read just about every book there was on the subject.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    I guess I should say that I am tlaking about audiobooks from the libary
    I really need to start doing this. My buddy suggested audio books since I have little time to read. the sad thing is, I only commute 7 minutes one way and that is about all the time I have.

Plus, it does not help that if you put something electronic in front of me....SQUIRREL!!
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    I'm slowly working my way through Night Probe - Clive Cussler.
    I expect a full report on it when you're done. :-)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    The local libraries that I've been to are just sad. People don't come in there to read books. They come in to use their internet and print stuff out on their printers. They do have group sessions in the mornings where they read books to little kids but that's it from what I've seen. Nobody is actually reading books.
    Locally, there's still a lot of reading going on. Wednesday is Story Time, and I like to read for the kids. My favorite is Piggie Pie. The story starts as a straight narrative you can read in a normal voice, but when I get into Gritch the Witch mode, I use a voice that sounds like the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz, only a bit more shrill and demented. The kids are always startled, then they laugh.

Doing the pigs voices is also fun, because I can speak in a nearly normal voice while making snuffling and grunting noises for the pigs dialogue. For the wolf, I just have to sound slow and stupid. It's a blast. I might be hoarse for a couple of hours afterward, but it is worth it. Piggie Pie is my favorite book to read at Story Time, but I try to read to the kids as often as I can. I love books, and I want to pass that along
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My newspaper didn't get delivered yesterday so I was forced to start reading "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" again!

I guess I'll make more of an effort to actually read it this time around. Maybe I can even get to book 2 before the next movie comes out.

Unlikely, but you never know...
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just finished Flash Boys. I didn't know I could hate Wall St any more. Good book, came out of it not hating the high freq traders nearly as much as I thought I would, just really the whole Wall St culture

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    Just finished Flash Boys. I didn't know I could hate Wall St any more. Good book, came out of it not hating the high freq traders nearly as much as I thought I would, just really the whole Wall St culture
    Flash Boys is an excellent book. Michael Lewis is a fine writer, and I like his observations and commentary on Wall Street. And I agree that the culture is frightening and depressing. It's sad that so much power is concentrated in the hands of a bunch of self serving assholes who are largely above the law because the law is bought and paid for.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!