Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody reading anything?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    I go down to Mexico every 3 months or so and end up spending a lot of time sitting at the Monterey and Mexico City airports. Can't depend nor do I want to use their wifi so I need something that you can download to. I've tried reading on my smartphone and hate it. I've seen other people with large tablets that look nice. Just don't know which ones to look at.
    Regardless of which device you choose, I would just make it a point to load it up from your home WiFi and not worry about downloads at the airport. At any given time I have at least 10-15 unread books on my Kindle and therefore my phone.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Personally, I find the front lit display on Kindles easier on the eyes than back lit displays. I like my Voyage, but the Paperwhite is definitely the best bang for the buck in the line.
    I agree, but just not to the point where I feel it's worth my buying a Kindle to use only for reading.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wow, I bit off a huge reading project yesterday. I found a deal on this huge Science Fiction Trilogy called the Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Looks like I am going to be reading this for a while, but I may stop 54 pages into it and get the Trilogy that spawned this one. Sigh.
    Last edited by Tekboy; 02-28-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    Wow, I bit off a huge reading project yesterday. I found a deal on this huge Science Fiction Trilogy called the Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Looks like I am going to be reading this for a while, but I may stop 54 pages into it and get the Trilogy that spawned this one. Sigh.
    Anything Hamilton writes is excellent. Highly recommended.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Anything Hamilton writes is excellent. Highly recommended.
    Having read ALL of both of those series, I am amazed at this guy's scope. What an awesome read that was!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Recently, I've been binge reading Jeff Carson's David Wolf mysteries. Wolf is a lawman in Colorado, a former Army Ranger, and one of those guys who always does the right thing no matter the personal cost. Now it sounds a little cliched; it isn't. Carson writes compelling characters even for his supporting cast. The interactions of his characters are complex and believable. He also has a talent for making Colorado, it's scenic beauty and terrain come alive.

But, I think I'm going to take a break after I finish my current read and then re-read Gene Wolf's Book of The New Sun. After that, I plan to read a biography of Charles Goodnight that I've had on hand for a while, and I think I will also re-read Empire of the Summer Moon, which is a history of the Comanche Nation. It dovetails nicely with Goodnight's biography.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Around the world in 80 days - Michael Palin

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I recently went on a 2 day trip down to Mexico and had some time to kill at the airports. So I bought Stephen King's The Dark Tower in paperback that they were selling at one of shops at the airport. Or so I thought that's what I was buying. Come to find out, I only bought the first book, The Gunslinger, of the The Dark Tower series; 8 books in all. I gotta tell ya, this is a hard read. I understand about character building and all that but it is really dry and hard to keep attentive. I made it through 150 pages of the 340 page book and that was only because there was absolutely nothing else to do. I guess I'll save the last half on my next trip down there as I'm in no hurry to pick it back up again.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    https://www.amazon.com/Only-Road-Nor...nly+road+north

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Road-Nor...nly+road+north

I started to re-read this book on my recent trip to Texas. My layovers were very short so I am finishing it now. It is as excellent the second time as it was the first.

dangerous trek across Africa … a life-and-death struggle … and a call to live a life with no holds barred. Deserts and jungles, rebels and missionaries, bullets and acts of bravery, heaven and hell on earth―these are all part of a young man’s remarkable, true journey through thirteen African countries with his brother and two best friends. Erik Mirandette was completing a two-year stint with a humanitarian organization in Morocco when, continuing his quest to live the life he was created to live, he set off on an unforgettable pilgrimage. Beginning in Cape Town, Erik, his brother, and his two best friends covered 9,000 miles north by dirt bike, experiencing the poverty, beauty, and dangers of the African continent. Then in Cairo, having safely reached the end of their perilous journey, a terrorist’s bomb ripped Erik’s world and faith apart. The four travelers were now desperately wounded and on the brink of death. Erik’s struggle along his journey of faith is as gripping as his trek across Africa. The Only Road North takes readers to corners of the world and depths of the human heart they will never forget.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    I recently went on a 2 day trip down to Mexico and had some time to kill at the airports. So I bought Stephen King's The Dark Tower in paperback that they were selling at one of shops at the airport. Or so I thought that's what I was buying. Come to find out, I only bought the first book, The Gunslinger, of the The Dark Tower series; 8 books in all. I gotta tell ya, this is a hard read. I understand about character building and all that but it is really dry and hard to keep attentive. I made it through 150 pages of the 340 page book and that was only because there was absolutely nothing else to do. I guess I'll save the last half on my next trip down there as I'm in no hurry to pick it back up again.
    I read that one many years ago, and it definitely was a hard read for me too. I never bothered with any of the others in the series after finishing that one.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison