Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anybody reading anything?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Good book so far but slow going. By the time I get to bed, I usually can only read a few pages before I fall asleep.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Good book so far but slow going. By the time I get to bed, I usually can only read a few pages before I fall asleep.

Wow, I read that book a LONG time ago. Liked it a lot. The movie was kind of a let down tho from the book.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It would be interesting to see this remade with current cinema technology. I still like older Cussler better than his current writings/collaborations. In a sea of dismal, pointless remakes, this one could actually be better than the original if done well.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    I started reading A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs because I just love the movie John Carter <3 It's kind of a hard read because the language in places is so archaic.
    I'd imagine you might also struggle some with 1912's worldview as well. Then of course, the movie John Carter is sort of an amalgam of like the first 3 books in the series. At 12 or 13, I, along with a handful of friends were absolutely crazy about Burroughs in general, but especially about J.C.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I learned this morning that Terry Goodkind actually has a Richard and Kahlan series. The first was "The Omen Machine" which was Sword of Truth #12 also. The 4th in the series I just loaded into our catalog this morning - "Warheart." (While researching this title is when I discovered it's part of a series.)

"The Third Kingdom" is second in the series, so I'm planning to read that one next. Third in the series is "Severed Souls."

Now I've got a reading list!
    It didn't take me long to read books 2 and 3 in the series., Now that I'm reading Warheart, it says on the cover "Sword of Truth: The Conclusion."

I'm kind of disappointed that there's no more Richard and Kahlan stories. So I'm sort of savoring this one.

Every once in a while, when I'm out in the library, I see Clive Cussler books on display and think I might pick one up. But I haven't so far. I guess I'll have to go back through this thread ans make a proper list.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    A Kindle Unlimited subscription gets you access to over 8 million titles for $10 a month. Some are extremely good, some aren't, but that can happen even with an author you read regularly and generally enjoy. So, I've no reason to complain if I get the occasional pig. Still you can get books by consistently good authors like Paul Levine, Damien Boyd, G.M. Ford, and Allen Russel at a ridiculously low price. And I find I'm more likely to experiment if a given book costs me nothing. Big surprise, eh?

I've found new authors like Melissa Olson, who I would have probably ignored if I had to cough up cash for the first book of hers I read. My first reaction would have been "Oh, Hell no! Not another paranormal romance!!" Especially in the case of her Boundary Lines series, that would have been a mistake. I would probably have dismissed Mathew Mather's Nomad as just another GD Apocalypse novel (even if it didn't have zombies).
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Still too expensive as compared to my library. Then again, I've been waiting on Flash Boys for 6 months already, still have at least one more month.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    Still too expensive as compared to my library. Then again, I've been waiting on Flash Boys for 6 months already, still have at least one more month.
    Gee, with Kindle Unlimited, Flash Boys is one of the titles included in the $10 subscription, and it downloads in under a minute. Good book by the way. Of course, since the legislature cut the Hell out of funding for libraries in Texas, if you want a book your local library doesn't have, you can still get it on inter-library loan, but you have to pay shipping one way. About the second time around, you've paid for a Kindle Unlimited subscription, so if the book you want is in the program...

Still, I have to admit there are some books unavailable in ebook editions at all, and many more that are only available at what I consider to be ripoff pricing for ebook editions. I still use my local library, but it has become more of a resource for specific books rather than a general source of reading material.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    A Kindle Unlimited subscription ...
    Yeah, I work at a library. Our department is who loads all the records into the catalog. We have a ton of options available, Safari ebooks, Overdrive, Total Boox, 3M Cloud is a recently added ebook option. Plus I have a Nook at home, which I don't use to read books. I either read the paper version or listen in my car.

As libraries go, we are in pretty good shape money-wise. Our county has a 1/8 cent sales tax that goes to the libraries. It was just passed again in 2012 either indefinitely this time or for another 20 years. Passed by like 65% in favor, so people around here really appreciate the library.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I work at a library. Our department is who loads all the records into the catalog. We have a ton of options available, Safari ebooks, Overdrive, Total Boox, 3M Cloud is a recently added ebook option. Plus I have a Nook at home, which I don't use to read books. I either read the paper version or listen in my car.

As libraries go, we are in pretty good shape money-wise. Our county has a 1/8 cent sales tax that goes to the libraries. It was just passed again in 2012 either indefinitely this time or for another 20 years. Passed by like 65% in favor, so people around here really appreciate the library.
    Around 4 months ago, the main branch of our county library suffered a structural collapse. The entire back wall of the building fell off, right after the building had just undergone it's annual inspection. No one was injured, but there is a gaping hole in the building, and what used to be the Children's Wing is still closed. I'll get a picture up tomorrow. The library is still operating, and the same inspectors that certified the building as sound a couple of weeks before it collapsed have assured everyone that there is no danger, so after a three week closure (and except for one wing) the library is back in full operation.
    WIFFLEBALL!