Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anybody reading anything?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I just returned from a trip to Oregon, Klamath Falls to be exact. My daughter and I drove up to Yreka and met a couple of my sisters and we drove the rest of the way together. Before and after the sisters were in the car, we listed to one of the Harry Potter stories - Half-Blood Prince.

I think if we had turned the story on WHILE they were in the car, we might not have had family feud right there in my car. But that's a different thread. We managed to get through the 6 discs in my changer right before we got home.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    I just returned from a trip to Oregon, Klamath Falls to be exact. My daughter and I drove up to Yreka and met a couple of my sisters and we drove the rest of the way together. Before and after the sisters were in the car, we listed to one of the Harry Potter stories - Half-Blood Prince.

I think if we had turned the story on WHILE they were in the car, we might not have had family feud right there in my car. But that's a different thread. We managed to get through the 6 discs in my changer right before we got home.
    C'mon we want to hear the dirt. Despite the massive amount of of typos in my remarks about Simmons' Abominable, it really does suck. Elder Child is coming home to visit over the 4th of July, and I hope I can get her connected with you to discuss your experiences in the Navy. She'll think it's cool as Hell that you were a jet mechanic, and she does want to pursue an IT career, so I hope you and she can spend some online time together. BTW, the kid loves to code.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    C'mon we want to hear the dirt. ... [/B]to code.
    Too many stories.

Actually, IN the car, they were polite, mostly. At the condo, or room, or whatever, the three of my sisters seemed to be in a contest to out-rude or talk over each other. Two of them talked about my father (the drunken alcoholic that left his family and supported his girlfriends' kids better than his own) as the man they remembered. One of them sez "Can we change the subject?" To which we all said no way.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Too many stories.

Actually, IN the car, they were polite, mostly. At the condo, or room, or whatever, the three of my sisters seemed to be in a contest to out-rude or talk over each other. Two of them talked about my father (the drunken alcoholic that left his family and supported his girlfriends' kids better than his own) as the man they remembered. One of them sez "Can we change the subject?" To which we all said no way.
    I guess somewhere out there is a family that looks like a Norman Rockwell painting, but I haven't met them yet. I'm pretty sure I've already done a post about how the last time one of my aunts took me to California to visit her sister they got drunk and had a fist fight. One day in CA, and then 3 days on a Greyhound bus, because we couldn't get a flight back soon enough.

I've always tried to be a good father, but I explained long ago that I wasn't going to park my old fat butt on a bleacher in freezing weather to watch them march. EC did band and soccer, and some other athletics, but YC didn't, so I was spared a bit of the guilt trip there. Anyway Elder Child is probably going to arrive 4/7, I still want her to contact you. I will say that EC can seem a little silly and superficial at first glance, but underneath that she is a very competent and intelligent young woman.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I stopped reading at one point and then would binge read like crazy for a year on and two off, and such. Have not read an actual book for probably a decade, I think the last things I read were by Burroughs, Junkie, Queer and Soft Machine. I have a copy of hells angels by hunter s thompson waiting to be read. Poor books must be lonely.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I used to devour books when I was a teen. Then at some point I tried to read Crime and Punishment. That was the most boring book I have ever read. I think it took me 2 months to finish it, couldn't stand reading more that 10-20 pages at one time. And for some reason it cut my desire to ever read books again.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I used to devour books when I was a teen. Then at some point I tried to read Crime and Punishment. That was the most boring book I have ever read. I think it took me 2 months to finish it, couldn't stand reading more that 10-20 pages at one time. And for some reason it cut my desire to ever read books again.
    I had similar feelings after reading the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Christo. Roughly 1500 pages of pain. The two best books I've read recently have been G.M. Ford's Slow Burn and Peter S. Beagle's Tamsin. I liked Tamsin nearly as much as The Folk of the Air.

Currently, I'm trying to read Thomas Benigno's The Good Lawyer. It has gotten so many excellent reviews, but I'm finding it very slow going. I keep taking breaks to read some trashy military SF.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 06-17-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post

I've had that experience with some books. But I don't let it deter me from picking up another one. If a book doesn't grab my attention right off, I don't let it bother me. I just stop reading it and look for something else that will grab my attention.

I figure, if I'm reading for pleasure, it should be a pleasurable experience. I should WANT to read it. I should not be able to put it down until I've reached the end. The author should grab my attention and hold it and if they don't, I move on.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've had that experience...I figure, if I'm reading for pleasure, it should be a pleasurable experience. I should WANT to read it. I should not be able to put it down until I've reached the end. The author should grab my attention and hold it and if they don't, I move on.
    Good approach to reading. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat OCD, and I can hardly let anything drop if I ever get started. I did hit a couple of books this year that were so bad I didn't finish them. Abominable was pretty damn close, but I kept telling myself, "This is Dan Simmons! It can't suck this bad all the way!" Shows what my judgement is worth. It took me a month and a half to wade through. Fortunately, I'm putting a new display panel on our county librarian's laptop, so she killed my fines.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    ...I'm putting a new display panel on our county librarian's laptop, so she killed my fines.
    Librarians rock! At least that's what I tell all the good ones I work with :-)

I am Green-Eyed.