Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sub Optimal Week

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I have a small fish pond out back of my house that I keep finding these stupid little ground moles dead in. This year I decided to see if I could kill them so under the back side of my house where the porch meets house (right beside the pond) I set out 2 packs of mice/rat poison, seemed like a simple enough plan.

2 weeks later my daughter's dog (wiener dog) is really sick, take it to the vets and he sends me immediately to a bigger vet office who determines that she ate rat poison. 4 days stay at the animal hospital, a couple of blood transfusions and $2100 later, the dog is doing fine again, but of course I still have the flipping ground moles......
    UGH! $2100 makes a $600 vet bill seem like pocket change.....
    That sucks!
    I fucking hate moles! HATE THEM!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    but of course I still have the flipping ground moles......
    treat your yard for grubs. take away their food source. They will eat earthworms but they prefer grubs. Also, since they don't live in colonies there are traps you can get for them.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Holy crap! I guess I only imagined I'd had a lousy week with the mutt. It's sad to hear about the young girl with cancer, but I'm thankful that Aidan continues to do well.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    treat your yard for grubs. take away their food source. They will eat earthworms but they prefer grubs. Also, since they don't live in colonies there are traps you can get for them.
    In this part of the country, we don't have moles, but we have gophers and prairie dogs instead. My cats are pretty lazy, but they manage to keep the gophers pretty well under control. There is a large prairie dog colony just a couple of hundred feet behind my property. Prairie dogs generally only like to dig burrows where they have a clear line of sight to their other mounds. Just letting the weeds grow at the back of the alley means that I don't have a problem with burrows in the yard. Since they are frequent carriers of Bubonic Plague, I like them out of my yard. Every few years we have somebody that actually contracts the disease. Outside of Urban Legend, it easily cured with antibiotics, but still I kinda flinch on the rare occasions when somebody is admitted to the local hospital for treatment.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    I had an Austrailian Shepherd that had seizures. Doc put him on Phenabarbitol daily. Cost 5 bucks for a month's worth. Never had another seizure.
    We have been giving her phenobarb for years now. It's just lately that she's started having them again. Yesterday, when I got home from work she wasn't even able to walk. Poor thing. My daughter and I figured she was whining so much because she couldn't even stand to go outside and relieve herself, and she KNEW she wasn't supposed to do that in the house.

This morning was a little better. When I went outside to fill the bird feeder, she got up and came out with me. She's still kind of disoriented, in that she will still kind of get herself into places and get stuck. But at least she's turning around now.
    Last edited by northbayteky; 06-18-2015 at 06:22 PM.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    In this part of the country, we don't have moles, but we have gophers and prairie dogs instead. My cats are pretty lazy, but they manage to keep the gophers pretty well under control. There is a large prairie dog colony just a couple of hundred feet behind my property. Prairie dogs generally only like to dig burrows where they have a clear line of sight to their other mounds. Just letting the weeds grow at the back of the alley means that I don't have a problem with burrows in the yard. Since they are frequent carriers of Bubonic Plague, I like them out of my yard. Every few years we have somebody that actually contracts the disease. Outside of Urban Legend, it easily cured with antibiotics, but still I kinda flinch on the rare occasions when somebody is admitted to the local hospital for treatment.
    yikes!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We get one case in something like every 5 to 7 years, and because people who contract Bubonic Plague are so rare, the disease is easily treatable. It isn't antibiotic resistant. I don't know the statistics of the other Plains states, but I expect they are about the same, though I may want to look this up. If you're like me and you hang out with a lot of conspiracy theorists and such, you certainly hear some pretty gruesome horror stories about new variants of the Plague, but I don't see any of them happening.
    WIFFLEBALL!