Thread: Need a good wipe utility for a HDD with win10 on it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Need a good wipe utility for a HDD with win10 on it.

Need a good wipe utility for a HDD with win10 on it. I put win 10 on a HDD I don't own and need to wipe it before sending back. Also, the hdd is taking a poop, so it needs to be fastish. Just need to delete both partions win 10 makes. I tried zap and something else and they don't see 0 or 1 normally now. I tried to use win 10 to wipe it but it can't see the HDD now, or it only allows a repair.

Story: I do field work for now and have to ship lappies back via ups but they don't keep track so I installed 10 for giggles and used the lappy for a month and now want to aend it back. Nothing naughty really, just borrowing to further my tech education IMO. I'm still not able to afford my own stuff that is modern.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    DBAN

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thanks. Will check it out. Also, win 10 doesn't do anything 7 or 8 does after all. Its just the failing HDD I think. Gonna try dban and if that fails, the freezer for a day and then try again.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Modern HDDs support a secure erase command, however many BIOS implementations block it due to the potential for abuse (virus). Look up the secure erase command. Once started it is unstoppable even by power off, it will resume when powered on again.