Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Now Offering Windows 10 Reservations

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Microsoft Now Offering Windows 10 Reservations

In the current batch of updates, Windows Update offers an app which puts a Windows icon in the system tray. When you open it, it presents you with a chance to reserve a spot in the que to download Windows 10 when it becomes available on July 29th. Installation files are downloaded automatically, but the installation is run manually. For early adopters, I guess this gets you a priority slot in whatever bandwidth MS will make available to the download. More here.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    In the current batch of updates, Windows Update offers an app which puts a Windows icon in the system tray. When you open it, it presents you with a chance to reserve a spot in the que to download Windows 10 when it becomes available on July 29th. Installation files are downloaded automatically, but the installation is run manually. For early adopters, I guess this gets you a priority slot in whatever bandwidth MS will make available to the download. More here.
    I think I am going to back up my drive on my laptop and take this for a spin. The worst that could happen is I format and start over.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I think I am going to back up my drive on my laptop and take this for a spin. The worst that could happen is I format and start over.
    Yeah, I figure I'm going to be supporting it soon, so I might as well be a Guinea pig for the release version.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've been running Windows 10 on a crappy old laptop here at work that I threw a SSD into and use it mostly just for lugging along into lan closets for switch configurations, etc. So far I like it so I may just give this a go on my home laptop just for shits and giggles.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I've been running Windows 10 on a crappy old laptop here at work that I threw a SSD into and use it mostly just for lugging along into lan closets for switch configurations, etc. So far I like it so I may just give this a go on my home laptop just for shits and giggles.
    I hadn't run any of the pre-release versions at all, which I did with 8, but I also don't really anticipate much drama getting installed and running. Well, we will see.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have it on a Dell laptop. So much trouble. Every two weeks or so, it downloads another version, tries to install itself, fails. Then it repeats 5 or 6 times, and finally succeeds. I have 4 gigs of memory on this laptop and it is a dinosaur. Project Spartan is a joke so far. I would not recommend being an early adopter. Just saying.....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    I have it on a Dell laptop. So much trouble. Every two weeks or so, it downloads another version, tries to install itself, fails. Then it repeats 5 or 6 times, and finally succeeds. I have 4 gigs of memory on this laptop and it is a dinosaur. Project Spartan is a joke so far. I would not recommend being an early adopter. Just saying.....
    I wonder how much of this is due to the frequent rollout of new pre-release versions. I would hope that the release version isn't going to be hit by an immediate round of patches and fixes, but you never know. Still, I'd rather find this out on one of my own machines than work through any potential problems for the first time on a customer's computer. New machines aside, folks are going to start asking me if they should update, so... Anyhow, I stay current on local backups, most of my documents are also stored in OneDrive, and on DVD; if it gets ugly I'll restore a backup, or just nuke it and start clean.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Its windows 8.5, still buggy, get it and play with it. For gawd sake don't put it in production yet.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's unclear to me exactly how MS is handling priorities for Win10 downloads. I'm pretty sure I was early reserving my download, but here it is, August 8th and my update still isn't ready to install. When I open the Get Windows 10 icon in the it tells me that my notification to upgrade could come as soon as "a few days or weeks". Going all the way back to Windows 98, I've always had the most current version of Windows running on at least one of my business computers. If it does indeed take weeks to get the upgrade, I might find myself working with customer computers using an operating system with which I have 0 hands on experience. Apparently, as a Microsoft Channel Partner, I don't get any special treatment. In fact, as a Channel Partner, I don't get much in the way of support from MS at all anymore. Oh, well, it's worth every penny I pay.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You can download a trial version, don't have the link right now but it is available. Seems strange that channel partners wouldn't be offered it directly. We have MS Action Pack/Partner/whatever they are calling it these days and 10 was available since at least last week, possibly earlier but it has been a while since I logged into the site to check downloads available.